Anyone have Welsummers in south eastern or south central PA?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by buckbeak, Sep 6, 2007.

1. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    I'm really looking ahead to chicks or eggs next spring, but I might want some earlier. I know I can order from a larger hatchery, but would rather go local if anyone has chicks or eggs.
    Here at the edge of Lancaster County where there are farms, farms, and more farms, no one I've talked to knows what a Welsummer is!!
    Thanks in advance!
    Carol

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

We live in York County and are interested getting a couple of Welsummer hens in the spring. Maybe we can go together on an order then. [​IMG]

Julie

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm up here near Reading and just bought ten welsummer chicks at a sale last week, depending how many turn out to be hens I'd be glad to sell you some. I'd like maybe 3 or 4, the rest I plan to resell anyway.

4. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    We raise welsummers...but we live in Illinois. I do ship hatching eggs, just in case you are interested. They are a wonderful breed. We love the dark eggs.
    Christie [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Hi Sara,
    Let me know what you have & when you are ready. I'm not sure that I want any roos- I already have 2 & only a few hens, but I might want one to make a set??
    Where did you find Welsummers at auction? Green Dragon? How old are the ones you got?

Julie, maybe we could get some together in the spring, although if I get some from Sara, I don't know how many I'll want. We'll see what I can talk my DH into between now & spring!

Christie, maybe in the spring if I have hens that go broody. I don't have an incubator & I think waiting & worrying over a hatch would cause me an anxiety disorder!lol. But I wouldn't mine slipping some under a broody hen.

Thanks everyone for the responses!
    Carol

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I got them over at Lebanon Valley, I don't know how far of a drive that would be for you, but I love the place. You never know what you'll find. I don't know that green dragon has a small animal sale anymore. We went there when I was a kid.
    I'll glady keep them until I can tell hens from roosters, and as long as I get back what I spend on feed from them I'll be happy. Send me an email so I have your addy when I can tell what they are. Right now I'd say they are only like a 1-3 weeks old, they Just have feathers on their wings. I understand not wanting anymore roosters, I have enough myself! [​IMG]

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Oh and they all came in one box, so they are probably all related so you probably wouldn't want a pair of them from the same set. [​IMG]

8. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    What exactly do they all have at Lebanon Valley? Is it an auction or what?

I love the Welsummer eggs. So nice and dark brown. Next year I must make more room for more chickens. LOL.

Jess

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Yes it is an auction, small animals Wednesday night, and they have whatever people bring to sell [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the Welsummers..I assume they are just pet quality..
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by