anyone have west of england geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mamanaturale, May 19, 2010.

1. mamanaturale

mamanaturale Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    spokane, wa
    we got our sebastopols from holderreads yesterday. in order to fill the shipping minimum, we got two "fancy gosling assortments" which ended up being west of england geese. i have googled a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on them that i can find. i did figure out that they are autosexing and that we have two females, but that is about it. anyone on here have any?

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Hillside

Hillside Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Are you sure that you have West of England goslings? Could look at the HWF website but I didn't know he had them. Or anyone else either. They are a larger, bulkier version of the Shetland is probably the best way to explain them. There was a lady in the Canadian maritimes who was supposed to have some but she's not active anymore so who knows.

3. mamanaturale

mamanaturale Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    spokane, wa
    yes, i am sure, i emailed them asking what our assorted goslings were and that is what wanita told me. if you look on their adult for sale page, they have some on there. that is serisouly exactly what i said to my husband..." but they don't have that kind of geese!" plus i had never heard of them, so i was thinking maybe it was a nickname of some sort!

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
  5. Hillside

Hillside Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    I figured the mini geese were the result of selecting the very smallest Shetlands. Awful cute little buggers and not as heavily built, for their size, as WOE. Maybe the Holderread WOE are the result of selecting the largest, bulkiest Shetlands?

6. blissdragon

blissdragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eugene
    I was thinking that was a new name for Shetlands...I know he has shetlands

7. blissdragon

blissdragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eugene
  8. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

How many west of england goslings did you get? That sounds so exciting!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by