anyone have whitetail deer ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fowlman33, Oct 18, 2011.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    in their herd or as family pets?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Used to raise them years ago. Had an exotic animal ranch. Nowadays it's just common farm stock though.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Well i did have two pet doe.........one was brown...other was pure white.

first one i trade a pr of peafowl for , she was only 3 days old.

Good advice NEVER EVER bottle feed a buck fawn. They will imprint to humans, then come breeding season(rut) they will attack you, see you as another buck'

Some deer farmers have been killed by their super tame buck.

Now i just enjoy this wild doe, she come to my yard every year to have her fawns

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. mississippifarmboy

Quote:So very true deerman.
    We bottle raised most of our animals, but bucks were the one critter it was a really bad idea with. My bucks that were bottle raised (Whitetail, Fallow deer, Red deer, Muntjac, Elk) all were untrustworthy during the rut. Tame, would eat from my hand and a few would even allow side petting, but very dangerous during the rut. If you turned your back for even a second....

I lost some business, but I would not sell a bottle buck to anyone other than experianced breeders and zoos. I personally think most exotics should be left to experianced owners though. JMHO

Beautiful wild doe btw...

5. LotsaChicken

LotsaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    I didn't realize you could own deer in other states. Here I believe you have to have a permit to have one and there has to be circumstances to you having it. Most fawns that are found and thought abandoned usually aren't, but you see alot of people around here with babies in the Spring that found them "orphaned". It always makes me sad. Mother deer leave their babies to feed throughout the day and they also run off faster, but will come back for the baby once the people leave. I know DNR removed several from a house down the road. They were keeping them in small pens and, I was told, they didn't have a wildlife permit. There is a woman in a nearby town that does alot of rescue work. She has one with three legs and one that had been hit by a car. They seem to do well in her backyard, but they did jump the fence during the last storm.

6. mississippifarmboy

Quote:You are correct. Here in Mississippi it is against the law to own ANY native animal. You can't even get a permit. We lived in Missouri when we owned ours and had a state wildlife permit. We were inspected every few months by the State Fish and Game and annually by the State Dept of Ag.
    Had a few animals at the time that we really needed a USDA permit for, but we sorta skirted that by not keeping them long. [​IMG]

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes need a pemit here also.....one permit for all native animals and birds......must not come from the wild, but from someone with a permit that raise them.

I had one , pheasants ,quail ....didn't need another for deer.

Different laws each State..

MFB that doe has raised fawns last 3 years , in the front yard area.....i even got where i could get within 6 feet of her twin bucks,(if momma wasn't near)

here she is with the two buck fawns.....their first fall

[​IMG][​IMG]

pic of one.......and not using a ZOOM from my phone

[​IMG]

pic of one of then as a yearling....i took at dawn without flash

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    We can't keep white tails in Texas. Even permitted wildlife rehabbers like myself can only keep them for a certain length of time before they must be released. Oddly enough, exotic deer and hoof stock can be kept [​IMG]

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Texas has alot of whitetail deer farmers............know now you can no longer import them. One breeder from Texas bought a top buck at a Auction.

Get this he payed......400,000 dollars........now a straw of seman will go for thousands, and he bwill get 50 to 100 straw per draw.

this is just one

Mosley Ranch

10423 State Hwy 21 W
    Crockett, TX 75835

10. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

They are beautiful....used to have alot on our farm to come and drink out of our pond....then we got horses and they stopped coming for the most part.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by