Anyone hear about renting out spaces in an incubator?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wolf-Kim, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I was wondering if anyone "rents" spacing in their incubator?

I'm not talking about renting out the whole bator, to the point it leaves the property. I am talking about someone paying you to incubate their eggs?

-Kim

2. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

Great Idea! I would do that - rent space [​IMG]

Jaybme

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've heard of it once. The guy was hatching thousands of eggs. Don't know any details.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Hmmmm.... I can hatch lots of eggs in mine. Maybe I should post an ad. [​IMG]

5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I had a neighbor pay me to hatch his quail eggs for him, but payment wasn't expected. He just did it to be nice. He'd always pretend to be mad I had better hatch rates than him [​IMG] I'm always incubating eggs for family, neighbors, and friends, so I'm sure there'd be a market for it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  6. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    I was thinking about it today. It would help offset the cost of a large incubator. You know, local people who have a small laying flock and wanted to incubate eggs but not buy an incubator themselves(or just didn't want to put forth the effort).

-Kim

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I saw a post on craigslist last week where someone bought a LG still air incubator and offered to rent it. The rent is $25 but there is a $50 security deposit that you get back if you return it in the same condition you got it in . I was not impressed [​IMG] You would be better off to buy one for $45 and own it, than to pay $75 and use it once. Odds are this person will find some reason to keep the deposit.

8. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:I have to agree that almost sounds like a scam. LOL.

When I started the thread, I was thinking about the large incubators(like the Sportsmans, Cabinet, etc) that hold hundreds of eggs at a time.

-Kim

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I could see that happening. I had an order for 150 chicks and with one incubator, obviously it would have taken a while. Unfortunately it was a bogus order (%$##%^) and they never sent the deposit I required for a large order. BUT, had it been real, and had I known anyone with an incubator, that would have been a very good idea.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think it makes more sense for every poultry person to just have an incubator of their own. Admit it, we all want one.......even if we know we dont NEED one.......we still secretly want to own our own incubator. If you are serious enough about poultry to be sitting on here this late at night, your serious enough to go get your own incubator [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by