anyone heard of a chicken with cowlicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thyme4jb, Mar 17, 2017.

1. thyme4jb

thyme4jb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Near Austin, TX
    I have a 5 week old chick that has produced feathers like all other feathers, flat against their backs, wings, etc., EXCEPT for the shoulders. At both shoulders the feathers protrude at all angles and some are a little curly, sort of like s frizzle. It looks like cowlicks! Has anyone experienced this?

Another breed I am trying to identify can describe as on the large size, all white except light patches of gold on the shoulders, and a white top-knot that kinda sweeps backwards. I've looked at all the breed charts and can't find anything that looks like this. Any ideas.

And, no...no pics. Sorry.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Without pictures it's really hard to help identify :( I have a frizzle mix who had semi-frizzled shoulders when she was younger, it could be that :)

3. thyme4jb

Jan 28, 2012
    Near Austin, TX
    There are no frizzles in the eggs that I gathered. There are Americanas, EEs, RIR, Marins, and mixes. Not a frizzed hair on any of them.

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    They could be carriers of the frizzle gene :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've got a horrible cowlick I have been battling with all my life (69) maybe I have some frizzle genes.[​IMG] It ruins all haircuts, all styles [​IMG]

6. thyme4jb

Jan 28, 2012
    Near Austin, TX
    Hahaha. Yeah, me too...Cowlicks. Not sure which term I like best, or least...Cowlicks or frizzle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by