Anyone heard of "country acres feed company"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by neilgal, Apr 9, 2011.

1. neilgal

neilgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Not that I have too many choices where I live, but since I can't find any information about this company, I would like to know a little more about them and their quality if anyone familiar with them.
    We have only two feed stores in our city and the only brand for layers they carry is "home grown" manufacture by "country acres feed company".

2. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've been feeding my horses Country Acres Complete pellets for years. I didn't even know they made feed for chickens, so I can't speak to that, but I do like their horse feed. I have a friend that feeds his dogs their dog feed too, and is very happy with it.

3. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Don't know about their chicken feed, but I've fed their horse pellets for 10 years or so. Good quality stuff that's much less expensive than Purena or Nutrena.

4. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    I believe Country Acres is a subcompany of Purina.

5. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    We've fed their horse feed several times, they've done good on it, no complaints. Husband raises and uses Cow dogs, so we go through a lot of dog food for them, and I wouldn't recomend their low protien dog food, they go to crap on it, even the ones that didn't get worked as often, their higher protien is ok, we usually mix it with a more expensive brand and they hold on it and do well, but I wouldn't waste money on the low protien one. I didn't know they had chicken feed either, our feed store carries the CA horse and dog but I've never seen anything but the purina chicken feeds.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It's actually a division of Land O'Lakes that bought out the livestock feed side of Purina. I've switched over to Home Grown brand which is from Country Acres/Purina. For years I fed our local mills chicken feed and the switched over to Purina Sunfresh recipe several years ago.....still not sure why I did that. I've switched back because I want my chickens to have animal protein and it's also cheaper.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  7. bantamboy

bantamboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    we have country acres feed here where i live and we feed them all the time with that and its great feed no problems so far

8. ktyler44

ktyler44 New Egg

Jul 18, 2012
    Why do you want your chickens to have animal protein?

9. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    Do you feed Country Acres Livestock Feed to your chickens? Or do they make a chicken food? Our local feed store sells Country Acres Livestock only. Is the chicken feed cheaper than Purina Mills?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by