1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone heard of nite guard solar?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashley74, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ashley74

ashley74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Central Texas
    It's suppose to be a deterrent from predators. I am thinking of getting a couple, but wanted to see if anyone has them and if they work.

2. Doylehomestead

Doylehomestead Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Yakima Washington
    I have not used this but we were thinking of putting solar motion sensor lights up around our coop. It sounds like they are similar. Have you tired anything like that? If we do end up putting the light up I will let you know how it works.

3. ashley74

ashley74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Central Texas

No, I haven't tried anything yet. They are still itty bitty, not reader. I am of course a first time chicken momma. I just want to make sure things stay away. Thank you, please let me know how it goes. :)

4. rogersne

rogersne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    south west Nebraska
    I bought some of these to scare raccoons away from bird feeders. Did not work. Didn't seem to slow them down at all. Not sure if it works for other animals. I have night vision camera and you could see the raccoons walking right over them to climb the trees.

5. Doylehomestead

Mar 30, 2015
    Yakima Washington
    Yeah we are first time chicken people also. My dad also has a night camera that he said we can put up to see if anything comes by at night. We also have a German Shepard that will not let anything come close to our house. So we are hoping all that equals safe chickens. We have had them outside for 1 night and that seemed to go well. They were all still there in the morning.

Maybe look up what kind of animals are in your area that would want to eat chickens at night and see if you can find something to keep them away?

6. Doylehomestead

Mar 30, 2015
    Yakima Washington
    So we put up the solar powered motion light. It does not scare the animals way (mostly our neighbors dog) but it does let us see what is there in the middle of the night when our dog is barking. I would say its worth it because I can keep an eye on them. And then when I got down when its dark I have some light.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've been using the Nite Guard predator deterrents for quite a few years. Last year I forgot to get them out of the dark closet where they "sleep" for the winter, so thanks for reminding me about them.

I really can't say they deter predators or not, of which I have every sort from mountain lion and bear, down to fox and weasel. I also employ electric hot wire around my coop and run and garden enclosures. So I can't say which is doing the job.

I still get visits from predators in spite of all the safe guards, but no chickens have been killed in many years.

The Nite Guard devices are not too pricey and worth your investment on the chance they may work. I like the company because it's a family owned business not a big corporation with factories in China. They make these things themselves in their factory in Texas.

They work on solar power (no batteries), emitting a red pulsing light, and the principle is they simulate the reflective glow of a predator's competitor's eyes, discouraging them from encroaching on someone else's territory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by