1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone heard of Purina organic feeds yet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Spartan22, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Thinking of switching to Purina organic feeds, anyone have seen or use it yet? Price? Protein content?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It's a 16 percent protein.
    Not much on there site yet.

3. steve232

steve232 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    North Carolina
    I saw some at Tractor Supply. When I saw it too was only 16% protein and higher priced I picked up my regular layer pellets I get which is also Purina.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My feed store had it 2 weeks ago & Purina said the debut was early February. I think the 35 lb grower was $25.99 & the layer was $22.99. This makes the layer slightly more expensive than Nature's Best Organic, which I would trust over Purina. It would surprise me if TSC carried it, as they just started carrying Nature's Best in May of last year. The grower would be cheaper than NB. Don't understand the price point & with 35 lb. bags I'd just have to by 3 bags instead of 2 each month. Don't understand why they have such a quiet or noneventful roll out of a product.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is the NB in 50lb bags?

Some folks notice the price rather than the size...so price wise it looks cheaper in the smaller bags. SHM...marketing.

I wouldn't expect them to do a big roll out advertising until it's distributed widely to be available.

6. Cindy in PA

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Nature's Best went to 40 lb. bags last May which resulted in a major price increase at many stores that took advantage of the switch. The cost factor between Purina Organic & Nature's Best was computed on a price per pound basis. My feed store actually posted this comparison on FB. Just made me wonder why grower & scratch were cheaper & layer was not. I would never chose a national monopoly over a local PA company unless it was a very good price.

7. Spartan22

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I've never seen natures best in my area, right now I'd been using manna pro organic I find kind of pricey.

8. Cindy in PA

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Did get a response on FB from Purina. They stated the feed has corn, flaxseed & peas among other things. Still trying (as are others) to get a real feed tag, but they are directing us to our dealers. Some are not happy about that, as they have to order it in. It seems the formula may be close to their Organic Pride. I do like the fact that they use several kinds of grains & seeds. NB has wheat, soy & corn.

9. Spartan22

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Thanks all! I can always count on BYC input/answers so I can make informed & intelligent decisions, since my chicken ownership were started with impulse buying couple of years ago.[​IMG]

10. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Organic has less preservatives therefore it needs to be turned quicker. Same goes for Dog Food. The premium foods that cost more are only 24, 28, 30lb bags because they are not meant to be kept in a storage bin for 2-3 months. They needs to be fed and turned quicker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by