Anyone heard of sexing Khaki campbells by their bean on the bill?

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
i was just reading on google about be able to sex khakis by if their bean on their bill is a diffrent color then the rest of the beak, jw if you heard of this before as i have a khaki and i wanted to sex it thanks so much

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
Quote:How does this work if you only have 1 duck lol i know you compare the 2 if you have more then one but i only have one lol what do they sound like?

RavenStorm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Southern CA
The guy at my feed store told me to pic up a duck and shake them (gently but enough to make them make a sound). If they make a very loud and distinct "quack!" it is a girl but if the sound is lower pitched and more of a hissing sound than a formal quack it is a boy.

Laskaland

ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
Nebraska
Poor thing! A duck with an identity crisis

Just kidding. My ducks that hatched with my chickens chirped for awhile too. It was so funny!!
I am wondering too, as I just bought and assortment of ducks from the feed store.
Good luck, doll

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
well i will try to see if i can get some picks of my chicks and duck tomorrow my duck is at the age where its feathers are just now growing in so i will see if i can get a sound out of it lol pics to come

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
I HAVE heard of the bean thing, I just can't remember where or whether it was the dark bean that meant girl or what.

Bock_Bock

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Hayward, Ca
Barrowed from this website

http://community-2.webtv.net/saraarmstrong/EggDucklingHelp/

Sight Sexing Ducklings! (for Khaki Campbell's only)
There are 2 kinds of Khaki Campbells. Light and Dark.

The Darker Khaki's are a darker shade of khaki brown. The Light Khaki's are a lighter shade of khaki brown.

Now comes the interesting part, you have to look at the bean on the end of the bill. The adult males have a darker bean then the rest of their bill. The adult females have a bean that is very close to the color of the bill.

You won't be able notice the difference until 4 to 6 weeks of age. As they grow you will see a gradual change as the color deepens. Then one day it will be just as plain as the bean on there bill :)

Here are the adult bill and bean colors:
-Dark Khaki Campbell Drakes has a bluish green bill and black bean.
-Light Khaki Campbell Drakes has a yellow bill and a medium brown bean.
-Dark Khaki Campbell Hens has a slate gray bill and bean.
-Light Khaki Campbell Hens has a slate gray bill and carmel colored bean.
-I have one Lighter Khaki Campbell Hen who dosen't quit fit the standard, she has a medim brown bill and a carmel colored bean. She's very cute and sweet.

Another difference between a male and a female duckling is at 5 to 8 weeks of age. When the male's head and the neck become a shade or two darker then the body feathers. The female feathers are a uniform shade of brown.

A male is about 20% larger then a female.

Now if you think you have a good ear, the voice of a young male is different from a female. As adults the male has a raspy voice, in younger males you can sense that raspy sounding voice. But, it is a challange to detect it. In females the voice is a clear quack and in the young females it sounds like a squeeky toy.

Now, this won't work for most other breeds of ducks, because the bean may not be darker in the adults

Top Bottom