Anyone heard of the Chicube?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by awesomefowl, Jan 14, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It looks like a modified tack trunk LOL

I could knock together something reeealll comparable outta plywood for probably $120 and it'd work just as well but since the market for upscale prefab tiny coops is apparently at LEAST as strong in Britain as in the States, it certainly may be successful, who knows.

I'd put a lot more ventilation in it tho.

Pat

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I know plenty of people keep their chickens in "low to the ground" coops, but they make me wince. Unless you have Silkies or one of the heavy breeds that really can't roost high, it seems to me that housing like this thwarts a chicken's natural instinct to roost high.

And the manufacturers of these coops seem to have a rather different idea about the space requirements for housing chickens than is frequently cited on this forum. In that respect, they are no different from any other manufacturer I've seen: they always seem to vastly overestimate the number of chickens that can be housed in their accomodations.

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I think we are crazy too. [​IMG] I wouldn't house my chickens in there.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It kinda reminds me of our old milk box we had on the stoop with a pop door.

6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Needs more ventilation for sure.
    Took me a sec to realize they were giving dimensions in millimeters.
    so the:
    Walk-in Chicube Dimensions 1500 x 1500 x 2000 Designed for up to 15, 20 or 25 chickens
    That is only ~ 5ft x 5ft or 25sf. More of a step in than a "Walk-in".
    Most of us would not consider putting more than 6 birds maximum in the UK weather. And, only after we put a boat-load more ventilation in it.

So other than the stupid capacity claims and poor ventilation that almost all online chicken coops are plagued with, they do look nice.
    UK£ 809.10 = 1,284.20 U.S. dollars. The price is not as horrible as I would have thought. I bet they could build a supper nice coop if they came and lurked on BYC for a while.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
  8. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Who was it that started a thread asking if a chicken could be house trained? Maybe this could be used as a coffee table with a chicken inside.

9. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
  10. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Quote:Oh my that coop is adorable, but £4000??? ($6350) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by