Anyone heard this one????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantychick, May 2, 2009.

1. bantychick

bantychick New Egg

May 21, 2008
    I have a friend that has raised bantys for years, so I wouldn't have the nerve to question her, but she told me that the more pointed eggs produce roosters, the more round produce hens...
    anyone ever heard of this, or been able to track that with their hatchings?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hatcheries would make lots of money if this were true and they didn't have to pay sexers.

3. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Just an old wives tales. My Grandmother used to tell me that, but I would never say anything contrary to her. Just go with it...

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have heard it too. I agree that it probably is not true.

5. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I read that somewhere just yesterday. Someone was claiming they got a 100% pullet hatch that way. I don't see how it could possibly be true since hens lay different shapes all the time and different breeds lay different shapes. Might be fun to test sometime, just for jollies!

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    well I have both kinds in my bator and Im going to mark them to see if it rings true--not on the silie eggs though-I dont have that much patience to wait that long to find out the sex [​IMG]

7. bantychick

bantychick New Egg

May 21, 2008
    Keep me posted on your results....I think its a fascinating theory...but I found it hard to believe myself...

[​IMG]

8. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I haven't tried this but my dad swears by it and he has raised thousands of chickens. He said it is true and roosters are pointer.

I think my next batch I will test this theory. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There are many people that swear by it, I would think though, if it is true, it would be the pointier eggs from the same hen. It's true that different birds have different shaped eggs, take for instance, my OEGB hen. Her eggs are all pointy, but 100% of the chicks I hatched from her eggs last year were pullets. Also, for instance, there is my OEG hen. Her eggs are so rounded, I have to lay them on their sides for a few days and had turn just to tell where the air cell is. All of her chicks that I have hatched have been roos. So like I said, there are many people that swear by it, but if it's true, it would have to be a comparison of eggs from the same hen [​IMG] If it's true [​IMG]

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I tried it, it didn't work for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by