Anyone heating with propane or natural gas? Yikes!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Beau coop, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Our new house has a propane tank and we use propane for heat, cooking, and hot water. I cannot believe how expensive it is compared to natural gas [​IMG] and I also cannot believe how fast we can go through a tank. Our supplier says a 2000 square foot home should go thru 2-3 tanks per year (tank holds 500 gallon). We have a programmable thermostat and turn way down at night and then again during day when all are at work and school. We are careful with showers, and rearely run the dryer.(line dry)

Anyone have any advice for this propane newbie? How much propane do you use?

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    All I know is we just paid $4k to upgrade our house to natural gas BEFORE we had to refill our tank. Most of our neighbors with the same size house and family said they go through 3-4 tanks a year. 500 gallons per tank at almost $2 a gallon and you can see why we elected to have the gas line run to our house and converted our H2O heater and furnace over. (The gas company split the cost of running mains to houses this winter between 22 of us in the neighborhood who asked for it to be done). Some people wanted to keep their propane because they couldn't afford the upfront costs of the natural gas... but I have heard our new gas bill will roll in at $150 a month instead of the $500 propane runs during the winter. We think it's worth it long term... which is how long we plan the stay here [​IMG] It's not financially comfortable now as we blew our savings for it... but have to think long term.... long term...long term.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Oh- and I threw getting chickens in there as a money saving technique on protein for the family.... ssshhhhhhhh don't tell my husband otherwise!

4. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I wish natural gas would become available here too. Right now not an option. We pay $2.299 per gallon this year up from 1.799 last year. I don't know what the cost increase between this year and last year has been for nat gas. But we had about 130.00 bill per month for nat gas last year in our old drafty house.

I know alot of people are turning to wood or pellet stoves.

5. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have electric heat pump but put in a propane fireplace.
    Reason...it would run without electricity in power outages in ice storms and it is very warm heat.

no woodstove for me. not hauling or cutting wood...getting older.

no pellet or corn stove. needs electricity or 12v battery to run if power goes out and wanted a more "fireplace" look.

My propane was $3.14 per lb. in Sept. when I put in the fireplace. Filled 40 lbs last week at $2.65 per lb. I use it at night for cozy and warmth and it has treated me well actually. I cut power bill by $40 or so per month and replaced it with about $25 in propane for same warmth.

So worked out good for me BUT I sure want that per lb. price to be lower...LOL

100 lb tank.....
    I love my propane fireplace! [​IMG]

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    We are feeling it too. We have a 1000 gallon LP tank and after the price went up to $2.27 gallon we invested in a wood burning stove that inserts into our existing fireplace. Now a tank will last us 3+ months. We have 3 furnaces and 2 water tanks that use LP. It hurt but not now with the stove. We don't have natural gas available to us here. Here is the other kicker, we contracted (locked) into the $2.29 per gallon-----now it is $1.89 and I cant get it because of the contract.[​IMG]

7. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    We also locked in at 2.29! Last time I will lock too. I have never been a good gambler!

8. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    We top our tank every 8 weeks during winter every 16 during summer. Usually takes about 200 gallons. Was at 2.29 during gas crisis now it is at 1.79. Natural gas isn't an option in the boonies, but I remember a couple years ago nat gas was almost 2x as high as propane. Remember they only fill your tank about 2/3 of the way because of expansion. Might want to monitor your gauge be sure they aren't gouging you.

We cut our use a lot by putting 2" shutters on the north and west windows and using heavy insulated curtains on our pic picture windows. Of course we have double pane everywhere and storm doors on the doors. also pulled the trim around the doors and sprayed some low expanding foam into the jamb gaps . The changes have made the house warmer and lowered fuel and electric since the heater blower is electric. Biggest change is the insulated curtains. They help a lot in the summer too. Oh I also shut the vents in most places in the finished basement. Hung blankets on the windows and put up 4 mil plastic on the outside of the windows.

9. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I would kill for $1.79, 1.89 or even 2.29

10. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Quote:Beak- we are using about 150-175 gallons per month right now in this weather. I am going to pick up some more insulated drapes tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by