1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone Help I Dont Know What To Do

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ozark Girl, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Ozark Girl

Ozark Girl Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    I have a small and i do mean small pond and on the pond we put a floating duck house. My female (Ethel) has been sitting on her eggs for about 2 weeks, only coming out for short periods to eat, clean herself and eat. When Ethel walks around she is very very loud, then she will return her house. PROBLEM--- Last night overnight something got 2 of her eggs and they are sitting on front of her house. I am not sure what could have gotten them. Today she came out of her box walked around very loud again and then circles and circled her duck house and then finally got in, does anyone think she will return to her eggs and sit or what.....I have never done this before so any suggestions will be appreciated...Thanks

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    are you saying that something took two eggs out of the nest but left them in front of the house? if so, she may have done that herself... they might be non-viable eggs that she rejected. you could always candle them to check for life and put them back if they're good.

if you mean there's empty egg shells though, clearly eaten by a predator, then you'll need to fix up a temporary predator-proof pen for her.

3. Ozark Girl

May 30, 2011
    her box is in the middle of the pond I am not sure what could get to it, 1 egg has a hole in 1 end , so do you think she could have done it? She is a Black Swedish and I have two 3 month old blue swedish and two 3 month old Roens. The one blue swedish has taken up with the male Fred, so I am not sure if this has something to do with it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I am new to this as well, but will try to help out... Broody ducks are NOISY. I have a Rouen duck who hardly made a peep and as soon as she started sitting on her nest, she started quacking up a storm. She is a proud momma right now and has six little ones following her around. My broody pekin is even louder...she quacks from the moment she steps out of her house until she actually goes back to sit on the nest. You say that two of the eggs are outside of the house - are you sure that they are broken or have been opened? My ducks rolled several out of the nest and I always put them back under them. Come to find out (after one broke open) that it was rotten (it was nasty!!) [​IMG] Perhaps they knew more then I did ? Have you had a chance to go and look at the nest? Be careful whatever you do because not only are broody ducks noisy then can also be NASTY too [​IMG]

5. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    it's hard to say, honestly, especially without seeing them or your setup. only one has a hole? it may have been a bad egg that exploded a little, or she may have beaked it or stepped on it with her claw or something. plenty of predators can swim for short distances, but i just don't see a predator going through the trouble of swimming out there, removing eggs from underneath a perfectly meaty duck, then leaving them virtually untouched... i think she rejected them, for whatever reason. you might want to try to grab them outta there, if you're able. candle the one without a hole, i'd bet it's probably not developing.

6. Ozark Girl

May 30, 2011
    Thanks for all your input, I was wrong it was both eggs 1 with a hole and 1 cracked. Ethel has returned to her duck house and has been in there all day. This is day 16 of her steadily being in there... so i will let you know....Thanks again..[​IMG]

7. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    If it was just a hollowed-out shell with a hole then it may have been a snake. I've been having the same problem. But it may also be her pushing the eggs that are "duds" out of the nest. Glad she's back on her nest, though.

8. Ozark Girl

May 30, 2011
    Well I dont know what is in her mind, she pushed the rsted of her eggs out and now is hanging with the other ducks, but she keeps her distance. I am confused I dont know that much about ducks, or chicken and I have both. I am not having much luck with this egg thing......guess time will tell:/

9. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    sounds like a failed hatch...you could collect the eggs and candle a few...there might still be a chance of life, but if she pushed them all out herself then they are probably all duds...Sometimes that just happens, they may not have been fertile in the first place. [​IMG]

but don't lose hope, she will lay eggs next year and the year after and the year after that, as long as you have a drake and hen you can always try again(when you fall off the horse, always get back on [​IMG] ). Maybe next time you could incubate them yourself, I know I have always gotten a kick out that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by