ANYONE HeLP PLeASE!!! Banty hens POOP looks like CHOCOLATE MILK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tootsie, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Tootsie

Tootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    My friend just called and told me her hen has poop that looks like chocolate milk and that it has been happening on and off for a few days.

Does anyone know what to do or what this could be? I forgot to ask her how old it is but she has had her for at least a few years from what I recall. She is eating just fine but looks a little off, a little droopy I think she said.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Tootsie

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Isn't there anyone who can take the time to answer this post. I told my friend you guys are very helpful but where are you? It is 18 hours since I posted.

Thanks much.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Are the poops normal in between the "chocolate milk" poops? If the answer is yes then what you are seeing is cecal poop. It is poop that comes from the cecum approx every 10th poop. All chickens have cecal poop. Your friend probably didn't notice until now.

If the poops are NOT normal between cecal poops then there might be something wrong with her. Please answer the questions on the sticky at the top of the page. The more information we have the better we can understand what is going on and can make suggestions.

4. Tootsie

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Thanks so much for answering.

I just called her & she said yes it is normal in between.
    I told her to keep me posted. SHe had been very sick for several weeks so she was not there to observe the birds and her helpers do not know them like she does so she got worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by