Anyone here can their own chili?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bulldog-girl, Dec 2, 2008.

1. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I have been all over the internet and keep getting a wide range of processing times for canning chili. I want to can my own recipe that has lots of beans and is really thick. The best I can figure is that it would take about 75 minutes for quart size. Not sure how long for pints. Any help would be appriciated. I was given lots of pints jars.

Also, my canner book says you can stack smaller jars on top of each other but do you have to put in a special rack for this? I would love to process as many jars at one time as I can. My canner is a large one.

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Mine doesn't last that long! [​IMG] I would assume you can warm pack em. Fill up the jar to where the rim curves in and put the flat lid on and the screw on lid. Place in boiling water for (don't know for sure) probably as long as tomatoe juice, and remove, turn upside down on a towel on the counter and let it seal.

I would try that with one just to see if it seals, if it does then there ya go.

Edited for stupidity! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Hmmmm [​IMG] good question. My book says the same thing 75 min. at 10# pressure. It also says to serve-- add beans and heat. Don't know why you cant add them before canning. Bean soup takes the same amount of time. Maybe Miss Prissy might know. Good luck

4. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    This is the recipe from my canning book.

5 lbs. ground beef
    2 c. chopped onions (about 2 med.)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    6 c. canned tomatoes and juice
    1/2 c. chili powder
    1 1/2 T. salt
    1 hot red pepper, finely chopped
    1 tsp. cumin

Brown meat in a large saucepot. Drain off excess fat. Add onions and garlic; cook slowly until onions are tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 min. Skim off excess fat, if necessary, before canning. Ladle hot chili into hot jars, leaving 1" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 1 hr. 15 min., quarts 1 hr. 30 min., at 10 lbs. pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

To serve: Add cooked or canned pinto or kidney beans; heat and serve.

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Sounds like a good chili recipe for a good cold day....

6. bulldog-girl

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Can you can chili with beans? Will the beans just get all mushy?

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Bulldog, According to my blue ball book for making bean soup, It says to soak for 12-18 hours AND then cook with other ingredients for another 30 min. I can't see why you cant just add the soaked beans to the chili mixture and cook it a bit more before canning. I just don't know if they would be mushy or not. Try a couple of jars if you can and test after canning and see what you think. Good luck

8. bulldog-girl

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Thanks for all you guys help. I will try:thumbsup some canned chili this weekend and report back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by