Anyone here good at figuring out chicken breeds?

AngeJD

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
Hi all, I received recently half a dozen "fun pack" hatching eggs that are all heritage breeds, but are a "mix of Ameraucana (black, mottled and wheaten), Appenzeller spitzhauben mixes, Silverud Isbar, Crested Cream Legbar, Lavender Orpington, Welsummer, Maran, Wyandotte, and Easter Eggers". I'll be setting them later this week, and since I've not very familiar with any of these breeds, is there anyone here who would be able to tell me what exactly I hatch out (hopefully!) when they do hatch? The eggs are all very large and in a variety of colors...dark brown (but not quite the super dark terra cotta color of a Maran), creamy white, green, blue and pink...

I also have a half dozen golden sebrights I'll be incubating as well (hoping for the best - I hear they're super difficult to hatch!) and wanted to know about the size discrepancy in the eggs I received. There are a couple that are TINY, not much bigger than a coturnix egg, while the rest are more what I'd expect from a bantam breed. Will post pics in next comment - but my question on the sebrights are whether you'd even set such tiny eggs??? Or just asking for trouble...

I've only ever incubated call ducks and currently have 2 dozen button quail eggs incubating, but have never done chicken!

Thanks!

Here's a tiny sebright egg next to one of the ones in the "fun pack", and a pic of the two smallest sebright eggs.

20210510_155700.jpg 20210510_154746.jpg

Oh! and that egg you're holding in the second photo looks exactly like my Welsummers eggs, chances it could be a Marans but the speckles makes me think thats a Welsummer ;D
See, this is why I need you experts :)

I'd never have known that Welsummers lay eggs with speckles lol. I'll also post a pic of all the eggs in the "fun pack" and maybe we can have a pool to see what we think will hatch out of each one!

Ok, here's what's going into the incubator tomorrow after a good rest! (Just took them out from my cellar).

So the speckled brown one may be a welsummer, any idea about the others?

And should I set the two smallest sebright eggs? They're teeeeeny!
20210511_234250.jpg

My guess-

1. EE/Ameraucana/Isbar/CCL*
2. Welsummer (small chance possibly Marans)
3. EE/Ameraucana/Isbar/CCL*
4. EE/Ameraucana/Isbar/CCL*
5. EE is possible but more likely Wyandotte or Orpington
6. EE/Ameraucana/Isbar/CCL*

*These look blueish greenish in the light, do they look blueish greenish in real life?

Probably no spitzhauben cause those lay white eggs (although since they're spitz mixes who knows haha) and I'd expect Marans eggs to be darker than #2!

They're definitely a blue-ish green. There is one that looks kind of olive, but she has no olive eggers in the bunch! The only one I knew was that Marans lay really super dark brown eggs, so I didn't think the speckled one was a Maran. This will be exciting when they hatch out - and hopefully they all do. I was gifted with a Borotto Lumia 16 for Mother's Day, which is a HUGE upgrade from my Janoel 12/Magicfly I'm currently using! My second incy is an Incuview which has 11 call duck eggs in currently!

Last edited:
Ok, here's what's going into the incubator tomorrow after a good rest! (Just took them out from my cellar).

So the speckled brown one may be a welsummer, any idea about the others?

And should I set the two smallest sebright eggs? They're teeeeeny!View attachment 2664732
Unless you don’t want chicks from little eggs, or don’t have room in the incubator, I’d recommend setting them. If they are fertile they have a chance to hatch — if you toss them there’s no chance.

I have the room for sure, but was worried the chicks might be a little weaker? Everything I've googled always said 1) never set pullet eggs and 2) never set very small eggs! So I have no clue...haven't done chicks before. In my calls, I had a rather small egg, and I set it anyway, and what I ended up with is the sweetest little runt ever. At almost 3 weeks old, he/she is 1/2 the size of their sibling :)

Back
Top Bottom