Anyone here good at identifying button quail colors in chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fatsu, Aug 10, 2011.

1. fatsu

fatsu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    I have 17 of the little bugger running around and am trying to get an idea of what I can expect them to look like as adults.

working on better pics. Good camera is down [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunno if I can get much better with this camera hopefully its good enough to try and Id a few

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    I rigged up my better camera and got some better shots. Can anyone tell the colors now? This is my first hatch and I have no clue what I have. Turns out of my adults I had 2 that I thought were females that turned out to be what I think are Blue Faces males. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the 2 white ones are white. But the other 14 no idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    In the last pic you have 2 white, 1 that looks like a red breast ('black' with white stripes--could be redbreast blueface aka black-face redbreast), another that looks like a cinnamon male (next to the redbreast on the right), another cinnamon 'above' the other on back right, 2 bluefaces in the center of the pic, another cinnamon or maybe cinnamon pearl on the left behind the white. The one in the center of the pic behind that white is a silver and another silver at the back center of the pic. There are also some more that look like silver and/or silver on the back left of the pic.

The second to last pic has the 2 white on the right, 2 cinnamon or maybe cinnamon pearl on the front left, 1 silver behind the whites, 2 silvers behind the cinnamons on the left, and I can't see the ones in the back corner very well but they look like a cinnamon (boy) and maybe a cinnamon blueface.

If I'm wrong on any quailladyoffortmyers should be here in the morning and she can correct [​IMG]

4. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    You made me realize maybe I should number them. Thanks tho that kinda confirms some suspicions on a few

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Shelley, I agree with you. The most obvious males are that cinnamon red breast male (4, 16) and the black face red breast male (3). Colors do change, easiest to tell are chick down and then adults. The juvenile stage is the more difficult as they are getting all their colors in and it makes them a mess at times.

6. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I'm still new at these little fellows. So any and all help is much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by