1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone here grow their own mushrooms? (mycology)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ChickenLeg, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ChickenLeg

ChickenLeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I recently decided to try growing my own mushrooms to cook with, you never know what contaminates are lurking on the ones from the store! Just wondering if anyone else on BYC has tried growing their own?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I have not,

Yet.

I think it would be a wonderful thing to do though.

Good luck.

3. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I bought one of those grow your own kits online last year and had a nice little farm going. They were quite delicious! Unfortunately, I went out of town for a couple of weeks and without being watered, the mushrooms all shriveled up and my little farm just didn't fully recover after that. I'm hoping to order another and give it another shot!

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I haven't yet, but I read about a way to do it that I'm just dying to try! Set the cap part of the mushrooms gill side down wax paper. Let it sit overnight and then sprinkle the spores on damp soil. Set it somewhere dark and mist it frequently until the mushrooms are ready to harvest.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Can you do that with shop bought mushrooms? I thought they would've shed their spores already.
    It's weird, DH just told me a minute ago about a small brewery who uses their used barley to grow mushrooms in...

6. ChickenLeg

Feb 15, 2012
    Ive recently started collect spore prints too of wild mushrooms! I traveled to east tn back in the fall and went hiking and collect many spore prints, mushrooms, and photos! It's a fun little hobby, and the shrooms do taste very delicious!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    As far as I know you can collect the spores from commercially raised mushrooms.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickenLeg

Feb 15, 2012
    I think the spores usually have all fallen off by the time we buy them at the store, especially once theyve been washed (but im not positive)

9. Dunappy

Dunappy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Yes I got one of those box kits one time and loved it. I'm going to try Portabella mushrooms this time instead of the button mushrooms. I haven't been able to grow the mushrooms on a log yet as I can't seem to get the humidity right for those in my arid climate.

10. ChickenLeg

Feb 15, 2012
    yeah there is definitely work involved in making sure everything is set up correctly to produce a good colonizing environment. I hope one day I'm able to introduce a strain into our yard, in hopes of the spores surviving throughout the year so that theres recolonization year after year :) but thats just a fantasy LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by