Anyone here have any issues with feeding chicks Manna Pro?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by snooptwomey, Feb 5, 2012.

1. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    I picked up some Manna Pro starter Gamebird/Showbird, 24% protein, 3% fat, 5% fiber, 1.5% calcium. Highest protein I have seen! My other chickens seem so small to me now that I was out at someones farm the other evening to pick up some eggs, and they have some BEAUTIFUL breeds, amazing breed stock, their hens/roosters were HUGE compared to my Ameracauna, and 2 red sex links. Guy told me they start them on Blue seal I believe, but said 22% protein then once they are grown they go to a 19% crumble. Mine had been started on 19% and now have been steady eating 16%. By the way he makes it seem, it makes a huge difference in growth. Plus I had been getting what they loaded up for me at the local feed store when I would come in and ask for a 50lb bag of layer crumbles, turns out its Purina(and I am now noticing that Purina gets NO LOVE as far as a quality feed on this site). So I am trying something new for starter crumbles and then when the current bag of layer crumbles get low, I will never be buying Purinsa again.

2. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    And also, how about mealie worms? My little chicks are 5 and 6 days old. When should they safely be able to eat stuff like that? They wont be getting any other type of treats yet except fresh stuff once they are old enough(fruit, vegi's, mealie worms)

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I think it is advised to not feed them anything that they might need grit for yet. Scrambled eggs or yogurt would be ok. When you can't stand it anymore and have to give them worms or grass, etc, you can give them coarse sand for grit.

4. snooptwomey

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    I have some bird gravel, this is what it says online about the gravel I have. . .will this be good for me to give them in another week or so?

8 in 1 Platinum Bird Gravel for Canaries and Finches is finely ground gravel, specially formulated for small birds. A natural digestive aid, it contains charcoal to combat hyperacidity and sweeten the stomach and oyster shells, a natural form of grit.
    Made in the USA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by