1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone here have experience killing ringworm??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LivingFate, Nov 6, 2008.

1. LivingFate

LivingFate Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    I adopted a kitten awhile back and now everything and everyone has ringworm. Everyone is either on topical or oral and I've been bleaching everything I can't seem to get rid of it. Any ideas that work?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    You have my sympathy. I got ringworm a couple of years ago. It was nearly impossible to get rid of. Between the constant washing of everything I touched, the oral medication, the topical medication and more than a month razor free, I finally got rid of it. I still check my armpits every time I take a shower, just in case. The only advice I can give is to keep on trying, eventually you'll win.

3. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    Its IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of! I have 3 dc under 5yrs, you know how impossible it is to have the kids not share things, wash up etc, 2 dogs, 2 cats, rabbits, us. I have all the poor animals isolated now trying to get a hold on this, throwing things out, bleaching, tea tree oil, acv, topicals, orals, agh!!!! No secret weapons huh?

4. Wildwoodchickens

Wildwoodchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Yes i had in my 20 cats plus ( i have stays and drop offs And my own perians And himmys
    1 bleach where the cats stay
    2 Get Mane tail groom or M-T-G as it called it does work even on people
    or get seach ring worm and they have things that do work but i found that Mtg works on most pets and people and it cheap $15 for 32 ozs and i have yet to over a half a bottle on all my cats
    And plus i kept it way from my dogs using this i blieve as none my pricey chows (LOL) or mutts came down with it
    And i also found that the oral things that you take it takes longer to get rid of it (now this based on my own crew and take this as you will i am not a vet or doctor)

Good luck
    and i will tell you i got rid in less then 2 weeks using only this and bleach once as i hate the smell of bleach
    Please pm if you have any questions i can even pm you my phone if you have any questions want anwered i will try at least

Quote:

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If a person has it you can use pure tea tree oil on the rash. Do NOT use the tea tree oil on cats, as it has been known to kill them.

6. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    Wildwoodchickens-

What exactually is Mane tail groom or M-T-G? Can it be used on people or just animals?

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I adopted a cat that had it so bad it was almost bald. Go to the vet! There is a pill but most vets in my area don't carry it. I called and called and finally found it. It is very effective. I wrap it in cream cheese and the cat gobbles it down. They can treat it with a cream but I found that my cats just lick it off. Good luck and that is contagious so be careful.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. LivingFate

May 18, 2008
    I've been to the vet, all animals are on orals and topicals AND its been 2 MONTHS and it is not close in resolving itself.

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Are u sure it's ringworm? Maybe it's mange. ???

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i've heard on people you can drawl a line around the worm with a magic marker (sharpie) And it'll die... or something like that because it wont go past the line.. I have no idea though as i've never used it or seen it used. just what i've been told by a bunch of ol'timers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by