Anyone here know anything about vintage or antique furniture?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by vfem, Jun 28, 2010.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Whether it be restoration, or who made what when? Types of woods... ect!

We bought a tiny twin size bed for our daughter at an estate sale, my husband said we should have bought both since they had a pair... but I talked them down to $35 from $50 and I only needed 1. We decided to sand and refinish that bed in a red cherry stain to match my daughters existing furniture. Was that a bad idea? Also what year do you think this was made? Does it have a period style?

My husband is sanding it at a guy's house who makes furniture as a hobby. He says its Mahogany wood and we got a killer deal. Does this look like Mahogany? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Nope-looks to be maple that is stained mahogany-those were made in the 60's and 70's-could maybe be cherry wood too? Very pretty though -love the design!! I would have paid 35-50$ FOR THEM TOO

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Looks like Maple. I'd say from the 50's-early 60's when cowboys were popular. Very cute. Would look adorable in my boys' cowboy room.

That's a fair price.

4. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    not maple, alder is what it looks like (I have a bedroom set in alder). We had a set when I was a kid, the peg at the top of the post sometimes means bunkbeds. they were from the 60's or 70's

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    WOW!!! I had one of those for my son years ago. A friend of mine had two , the pegs at the top of the balls are so they could stack for bunk beds. My friend is 45, he said his parents bought them when he was in grade school. I thought it was so cute and hated to sell it, now I wish I would have just stored it. Great find!

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thanks guys, I've had a couple people insist on maple. I've done a search online and found they were 1950's wagon wheel design. All the places I found only had 1 headboard available and ranged from $45 to $100 for just the headboard.

It would be cool if those were bunk beds... I'll have to see if they are still out there this weekend trying to sell the rest of everything and see if we can get the second bed then.

We're doing a LOT to refinish this. Its been a lot of sanding hours so far, and I found the cutest little frog knob to match her room's hardware. We're going to add some nature accents like knobs of her favorite animals to hang bathrobes and towels on her bed as well. I think this is going to look FABULOUS when hubby is done.

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    That would be neat if you could buy the other one too! I can't wait to see the finished product. Will you show us pictures [​IMG]

8. jdyprdy

jdyprdy New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    I think these are maple from the early 50's or so......they may have been a set of bunk beds. Nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by