Anyone here raise game fowl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jungleexplorer, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I started getting interested in raising game fowl last year as a strong breed of self-maintaining self-breeding totally free range flock. After I lot of research, I decided to go with the Regular American Grey with buttermilk colored hens. Since then I have spent months and hundreds of dollars trying to build my flock with almost not success. I finally found a Grey Stag (500 mile trip to get him). After owning him for a while, I don't think he is full blood and I don't like him. I don't think he is a very good rooster. I honestly have never seen him mate with a single hen. None of the eggs I have incubated from his hens showed signs of being fertile. Then last week my 9 yr son accidentally let him out and he tangle with my five-year old White Leghorn rooster. That old rooster kicked his tail. When I found he was hiding in a dark corner of my laying coop with both eyes swollen shut from the beating he took. I thought he was going to die, but he did not. But ever since, he has moped around half dead. He won't even jump up on the rooster. I even got rid of the old rooster that beat him and he still won't perk up.

From what I read about American Grey stags, there are supposed to be very spirited roosters. I just don't see that in this one that was sold to me as a Grey stag.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with raising American Greys. I think I need a new stag, but it was almost impossible to find the one I got, and I can't seem to find another And I also would like to find some more Buttermilk Grey hens. I have spent hundreds on hatching eggs and out of 75 eggs, I only had 7 hatch. All hens, and none of them buttermilks, even though the advertisement pictures of the (supposed) parents were buttermilks.

It seems like when I say I am looking for American Greys in a crowded room, it's like I said a bad word or something. Seems like people that have them, don't want other people to know it or something. What is the deal? I am not looking for show birds or anything, just some good strong hardy birds for free rangers. Where can I find them?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. typeav

typeav New Egg

Dec 13, 2014
    You can get one from www.oakridgegamefarm.net however keep in mind that the American Gamefowl Roosters are very aggressive and you can only have one of them in the backyard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by