Anyone here selling Muscovies this spring?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Nov 2, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I probably should post this in the buy/sell/trade forum, but I don't want anything until this spring. Is anyone here selling Muscovy eggs or baby chicks. I want to buy some at a hatchery, but there are 2 problems. They're usually both of these 2 1- Expensive and 2-Out of stock. And most of them only have 4 different varieties. If I could find someone here who had reasonable prices and a decent variety, I would consider buying from them. I would be ordering straight run, but it would be nice if you could sex them just so I could know.

2. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Marvun 22, I will be selling Muscovy ducklings this spring. I'm a small hobby farmer and keep my numbers down so any ducklings/ chicks born this coming year are for sale.

What I have is a black and white Muscovy hen and a fawn and white drake. I think I would see 50% black/whites and 50% fawn/whites. I cannot sex them.

How many are you interested in? I'm in Michigan so I guess they would have to be shipped. Muscovy ducklings sell for $5-8 around here so my price is $6 each on pre-orders and then there's the shipping which I haven't done so I don't know the cost.

3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Could I have some pictures? Fawn and White sounds like a cool Scovy color. I would be interested in somewhere around 10. I'm splitting it with a relative. Even $8 sounds like a great price compared to everywhere else. I'm not ready to pre-order right now.

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I also plan to.have ducklings for sale this spring. I am in NE Indiana. My drake is white and I have 4 hens, but not sure what to call their coloring. Possibly 2 lilac and 2 are black. Not sure what ducklings will result. I plan on selling the ducklings for $6 each.

5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Liliac would be another cool color. Decisions decisions. [​IMG].

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I will also be selling hatching eggs and ducklings in the spring. My flocks are all NPIP (not sure if that matters to you but it does for some)

Here's what I PLAN (it may change) to have for spring matings. All are going to be penned together so colors will vary for sure.
    Black and white pied hen
    Blue and white pied hen
    Chocolate barred hen
    Chocolate barred hen with a white bib
    Black barred, white head hen
    Lavender barred hen
    Silver hen
    Black barred hen
    Blue barred pied hen

And 4 black barred hens (growing out now)

Drakes are:
    Blue and white pied
    Lavender Barred
    Chocolate Barred

Blue barred (growing out now)

Ducklings are:
    $8 for black, white, chocolate
    $10 for Lavender, silver, blue (any other colors that pop out, sometimes I have blue fawn hatch)
    $15 for barred, any color

I do ship, orders are 8 or more ducklings (maybe more, weather dependent) or 4 or more for ducklings over 2 weeks old
    Shipping is generally not expensive, but I do charge extra for shipping boxes

Eggs will only be for sale if I have extras laying. I sell them for $3.50 per egg. Shipping is generally not expensive for these as I do my best to get you the cheapest but safest shipping rate

I don't have many pics but plan to post some once my birds are done molting. Here are just a few to give you an idea of the colors I have:
    [​IMG]
    These are the Barred babies I am growing out

[​IMG]
    This is a juvenile black barred drake from my last year's hatch

[​IMG]
    The black pied hen in the front/middle (I no longer have the black hen in the back).
    The blue hen on the left I no longer have but the blue pied hen I am breeding is the same color blue
    The one on the right is a silver, white headed hen (also no longer have her but my breeding silver is similar)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Top: Blue Fawn Drake (no loner have him)
    Middle: nest of ducklings of all colors
    Bottom: last years hatchlings, Lavenders, chocolates, blacks, whites and a silver

7. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Ugh, more decisions. How much per duckling would it cost just for an assortment?

And, you were actually one of the places I had in mind for Scovies even before I posted this thread, but I wasn't sure if you were making a business out of it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I have a very small farm and made a ton of cuts this year. I went from having 5 breeds of geese down to 3, and 10 breeds of duck down to 5. I want to focus more on certain breeds, plus my living situation has changed and I don't have as much time to devote to them as I did. So fewer birds means better quality :)

The muscovy are a breed I've been working with for almost 7 years now and they are absolutely one of my favorite!
    I was breeding mainly for foraging ability, size, and color (nothing specific, I just like a variety) and I have started to aim more towards patterns and barring. But I still breed for those qualities as well as others. I show for fun (didn't have time to this year) and my muscovies always do well as they are very pleasing to look at and there isn't much competition with the breed in my area.

They tend to be a very popular meat breed around here so all my extras end up getting raised and sold as meat birds (though I do save out really nice breeders and keep them until they are sold as breeding or pet birds).

An assortment would be $10 per duckling. But it would be whatever hatches at the time. I don't wait and sort them out as I try to do all natural hatching so it really depends on the hens. This year I got a gorgeous assortment of colorful ducklings. But they all hatched at different times.
    I had a lot of black, white, and blue ducklings early on. Then I had a bunch of chocolates, a few lavenders, and some more blacks. Then all my barred ducklings hatched at once about a month ago. I will have their pens more organized next year in hopes that they will nest and hatch around the same time, and allow them to do it 2-3 times throughout the spring/summer/fall.
    So yes, I would be happy to send you an assortment but wouldn't be able to promise any specific colors

9. tennmomn3girls

tennmomn3girls New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    I would be interested in any chocolate or blue ducklings in the spring also.
    Thanks!

10. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Okay, that sounds good, especially if you could get everything hatching at once. I'm not ready to order yet, but I would probably want to get them sometime around early April (To get there around the same time as my Metzers order). How much is shipping generally?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by