Anyone here speak "Duck"?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Being new to ducks, i like to watch them and their behaviors and try to figure out what they're thinking. We have one 7-month-old female Cayuga, then ten almost 3-month-old females of various breeds, then one 3-month-old Swedish Drake. i know the Cayuga, Mrs. Wiffle is "ready" as she was trying to be romantic with her little East Indie buddy before i gave him back to his owner (i was raising him with Mrs. Wiffle). Now the Swedish drake is getting older and looks full grown, but doesn't have his curly tail feather yet. But Mrs. Wiffle will go up to him and put her beak over his back and do short quacks for a long succession. Or else she will do that right in his face. Seems a little rude to me, like having someone burp in your face, but he doesn't seem to mind. He also doesn't do anything back, he just stands there.

The other thing i've watched all the girl ducks do, is there will be a pair standing together and they will put their heads down and to the side, then up again, then down and to the side and up again, all the while doing low repeated quacking sounds.

Any idea what any of this means? Or do i have way too much time on my hands? [​IMG]

2. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    LOL You do not have enough time on your hands if you love watching your ducks, as we all do! Bobbing in any direction, with or without water is a mating invite. [​IMG]

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    The head bobbing over the male is flirting. They are just being "Friendly" with the drake.

The head bobbing and standing a pair is something my two girls do. It is generally considered flirting, which it can be, but my girls do it when they are happy and excited to see me.

It can just mean they are excited.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I absolutely love the name Mrs. Wiffle. So cute.
    Head bobbing is a mating behavior and also pretty humorous to watch, I might add. [​IMG]

5. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    omgosh, I have to take a video of what our ducks do to my daughter (they have definatley imprinted on her) I think one girl really likes her!! lol

6. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    I only have 2 ducks, both Rouen drakes. They do a lot of head bobbing when they see me, I'm pretty sure its not a mating thing (that would be awkward). I think they are just happy. And I speak fluent duck, however my boys have potty mouths. I get a lot of "fill our @!?#* pond" and "where are the @&$?! treats" and "what's with this *#@& snow" and "put me DOWN". They never seem to have anything nice to say. But I love them anyway

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] This post was almost the death of me. I was innocently reading along and read this and I literally got choked on a piece of bread.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:[​IMG] Wow, your ducks are SO funny! Thank goodness my ducks say "please and thank you".

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The flopping of the head over the neck of another duck seems to be more of a dominance thing to me. Mine do it to show THEY are the boss of the other duck.

10. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Quote:You have given me such a giggle!!!

I think mine have potty mouths as well, I am sure I heard a few phrases that I needed to clean out my ears after hearing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by