Anyone here use the welded wire fencing for chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Faverolle, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I was thinking about using the welded wire fence like the Redbrand sold at Tractor Supply to keep my birds somewhat contained while they range. My question is for those use this type of fencing how well did it work keeping the birds contained. I was thinking about using the 5' fencing.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats what we use for all ours and it works fine. Its so much better to work with than chicken wire. We use 4X4 posts and staple the wire to it. It looks good to IMO [​IMG]

3. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    The only problem I have with the "welded" wire is the welds break apart if hit hard enough. I mean like weed-eating and hit it with the string and break the welds. The "wrapped" wire is much stronger, also more expensive. [​IMG]

4. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Mine have been up for about 5 years. No problems, no breaks and we weed wack the snot out of it....though we go through a lot of wacker line [​IMG]

5. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    I agree with welds breaking. Also at 5 ft my guys were getting out as they deemed necessary. roofed it- and they stay in.

get help to put it up Working alone it is difficult to get tight.

6. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    get help to put it up Working alone it is difficult to get tight.

I agree

I have a 4 foot fence never had a problem with fly over either....guess it depends on your birds...some are more flighty than others.​

7. chicken stalker

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    BTW I bought mine at lowes ...maybe the welds are stronger??

8. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

My run is made of welded wire and hardware cloth. It's really strong.

I have to put some hardware cloth over it so that my new baby chicks won't get out.

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I bought mine at Home Depot, $65 I think for 50'x5'. Attached it to fence posts and used wire to attach it. Snipped the bottom and bent it out so it couldnt be crawled under. And covered it with Deer netting. My chickens go in every night and I dont have the larger predators that would be a problem. As for its strength, my sons wood pile is right next to it and despite my yelling at him he still occasionally wings one and hits the fence, its still in tact.

10. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I was thinking about using the 4x4's as well. Is your fence 4 or 5'?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by