Anyone here work in a bank?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Frosty, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I was just balancing my checkbook, and found a problem (I think) with a check that cleared on 7/13. I use duplicate checks so that I have a copy to look at if there are problems... Anyhow, DH wrote a check to the gas station on 7/9. The numbers look like they say $70, I can't make out the part where he wrote out the amount. When the check cleared, they only took out $20. I need to get DH to look at it to verify the amount. What I would like to know is, who was shorted so that I can make it right? The gas station? His bank? Or do I just call our bank and have them straighten it out?

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

You may be able to see a scanned copy of the check online, and see the written amount, as well as the encoded amount at the bottom of the check. It's probably the gas station who is out the money.

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I looked at the scanned picture... it looks worse than the duplicate. The problem with the written amount is actually DH's writing. I guess after I ask him I can call the bank. If it's the gas station that is out the money, I see the owner there often, I can show him and write him another check for the $50. Thank you!

4. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    does he remember writing a 20 or 70 dollar check??

5. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    I was told that they are *supposed* to go by the Spelled out _______________________ dollars line.

I had a similar issue several years ago but in reverse...

they took out too much and the company the check was written too had deposited and received the right amount.. I had to go down to the bank and get it corrected. Apparently it was a mistake on the banks end.

Go ask the station owner what their cleared deposits said and go from there.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:The gas station would have been the one shorted 50 if the check was for 70, and cashed for 20. The bank rarely looses money in transactions like this. It is more often the merchant or the account holder. I would wait and ask your DH first. The gas station may or may not catch it. It will depend on who really owns the station and how good their accounting is. Most gas stations are independently owned, rather than being owned by the label of gasoline that they carry. PS I worked in banking for 5 years.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    He should have had to write the amount out too...
    what is written out??

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The written portion of the check takes priority over the numbers. However, what usually happens is when the customer makes a deposit the person verifying the deposit almost always just looks at the number when adding it up. If the person at the bank got a different number then what was written on the deposit slip they should go back and verify each check amount. This could be a case of both the depositor and the bank took the number as a 2 instead of a 7. The gas station is out the $50

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by