Anyone here working on fibro meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cmohlin89, Jan 21, 2017.

1. cmohlin89

cmohlin89 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2017
    I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for them, but that's my current project. I have a Svart Hona roo and am ideally looking for cornish that carry fibro to get started.

Anyone else here working on fibro meat birds? If so, have you noticed a difference in flavor? Some people say birds like silkies are slightly more sweet, but I've never tried one personally.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I wouldn't expect a very good market for it, at least not here in the US.

I do have a fibro bantam Cochin, and this past weekend I hatched a fibro EE somehow. I like the look, but I don't know that I would seek out their meat!

You may find it easier to create a "freedom ranger" type meat bird rather than a cornish cross.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    I don't have experience raising meat birds, but one thing I can say about the Svart Höna: they are great setters. That is a big help when you don't have to hand-raise everything.

4. annagoodspeed

annagoodspeed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2017
    Central Idaho 3000 ft
    I just ordered some Svarts to cross with my Langshans as a side project. With all the emphasis on health via neutriceuticals, I think that eventually there could be a niche for a dual purpose fibro large fowl breed. I am not into selling meat, but do want the benefits for at least for my own table.
    I have read some related genetics threads a couple times, not sure if I get enough to understand completely, but hope that starting with a white skinned dark shanked bird like the Langshans will help carry the Fm through more easily. Just guessing there. Saw something about black shanks indicating a good thing, but not sure if there are different types or degrees of black shanks. Langshans have pink feet. It looks like I should be using a Svart roo in order to get the increased size from the larger hen, then backcrossing to the Svart a few times? Hoping the difference in bird size won't be a prohibiting issue. Rank beginner here.
    I figure starting with an uncomplicated color pattern, like black, in the Langshans would at least get me going towards a somewhat consistent look. I love the Langshans and want to carry them forward as my primary breed, but cannot resist doing the mad scientist thing in the side.
    I live in cold winter country, so after ordering the Svarts I was wondering if I would not have been better off starting with the Black Quechua Olmecs for the fibro, since they have small combs plus the added wild card of egg color variation. Hard to find a whole lot of information about them, like would I be getting the same level of fibro gene marker concentration with them?

5. annagoodspeed

annagoodspeed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2017
    Central Idaho 3000 ft
    "Any bird that has slate legs carries dermal melanin, some birds with green legs carry dermal melanin and some birds with black legs carry dermal melanin. You can check the center of a birds foot to determine if it has dermal melanin. The center ( on bottom of foot) of a black foot will be white- no dermal melanin, The center of a green foot yellow no dermal melanin"

Bummer, just found this in another thread. I wonder what breeds have slate legs? Langshans have pink feet.

Reading further, if you backcross F1 hens that get dm from the cockbird then you can eventually get some that carry two copies?

6. cmohlin89

cmohlin89 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2017
    Yes, I've read the same thing about backcrossing and that's what I'll have to do to get them to eventually carry two copies.

Keep me updated on this project, I'm excited to see the results!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by