anyone house a rooster ALONE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmc, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I have two non SOP RIR roos with 16 hens of the same, and 4 L. Brahma hens.

The beta roo spends much of his time looking for a girl and chasing them, and running from the alpha, who pounds him if he ever tries to mate a hen. this sort of goes on all day; the alpha will often chase him in the main coop (10 x 16) which creates a bit of anxiety for the girls, too.

1. I am thinking of housing the beta all by his lonesome, but i can see him just being frustrated all the time? But it would make for greater peace for the rest of the flock.

ALSO, THEIR RUN IS 6,900 SQ. FT., but still, the 'chase is on' often throughout the day.................

2. I have also put out some feelers on CL for a free rooster i could give him as a companion. But I am afraid of bringing in disease.

3.OR, I could let him mate one of the girls this fall and hatch out a companion for him...........?

any thoughts?

But I really feel that I have to separate him soon?

So, to house him alone............even full time.............thoughts?

thanks!

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    This time around,we ended up with a SS ro:hmmnce the hormones kicked in,he was driving all the girls crazy,and especially targeted our brahma that got hurt when younger ,and is kinda' gimpy as a result. After successfully integrating older hens with new pullets,he ended up alone in the grow out coop.Our girls are much happier and calmer ,and he seems to be handling it ok.He is where he can see and interact with the girls while they free range. At some point he may be put back (after he mellows a bit).Hope this helps.

3. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thank you very much!

4. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    Got five Roo's and they all have there own accomidations , keeps the peace and allows the hens a break , only allowed back with the hens when needed ( fertile eggs )

5. tojo555

tojo555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    greensboro nc
    I have 4 roo's in separated cages and it work's great for everyone.

6. I <3 my EEs

I <3 my EEs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Lancaster
    i was wondering the same thing-i have one rooster who lives with his sister and he isnt nasty or anything... but what if he always wants to mate....

7. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I have 4 roo's and 2 are separated by breed with their own group of hens (three each) The other two a BR and RIR are in with the BR hens, 10 of them. I haven't had to separate them yet since the BR roo is not hormonal yet. When he becomes hormonal I intend to separate the RIR from the group and put him in a pen where he can see but not touch [​IMG]

8. All About Chicken

All About Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    I had 4 roo and after about 8 months they became very hard to deal with. And once they attacked my 3 yr old daughter I found a new home for them and peace now in the coop...

9. SuperChicken07

SuperChicken07 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    Scio
    I've had to keep them separate but they aren't very happy, I feel sorry for them.

10. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thank you all.

i am gonna have to separate the beta who keeps getting chased. I will not get rid of him. I can just see some long cold lonely winter days ahead for him.

I want the protection the alpha can give to the hens, so i plan on leaving him with the 20 girls...................ideally i'd house BOTH boys together, but the 'flock protector' thing seems important.........

i have never had roos before............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by