ANYONE? How do I know if my quail are male or female? Almost 5 wks old

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BjsBestGirl, May 18, 2010.

1. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    My quail just started "crowing" this week. They sound sooo cute btw. and i dont know how to tell it they're male or female. like some chickens, can you tell by the wing feathers? they have 2 different crows. can i tell that way? they are all different qiail. i have 4 or 5 golden, 11 white, 3 red, and the rest are cutornix i think. i was told what they are, but i dont remember. I know they will start laying soon, but i want to separate them first.

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Check the breast feathers. If they are all one solid color, male. If there are specks/spots, they are females. I'll post pics in a minute! The whites can be told if the males are mature, squeezing the vent and if white foamy stuff comes out, it be a boy!

3. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I would bet the ones that are crowing ar the boys. try reading the sticky at the top? I think there is someting up there about other way to tell
    D

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:HUH? I'M CONFUSED, ARE THEY ALL COTRUNIX QUAIL IN DIFFERENT COLORS? IF SO READ THE STICKY AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE HERE--- YOU CAN COLOR SEX BROWN, GOLDEN, AND REDS... THE REST YOU'LL EITHER HAVE TO VENT SEX OR BEER SEX.

5. BjsBestGirl

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    i think they're parents were all just in one cage together because they each have marking alike. and what is beer sexing?

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Art Of Beer Sexing Takes A Lil Practice, But The Act Is Simple.... Fill A Cooler Full Of Beer, Maybe A Sandwich Or 2... Grab A Lawn Chair And The Cooler Then Campout With Both Next To The Quail Pen..... If It Crows Or Mounts Another Quail Put A Small Zip Tie Around 1 Ankle. If It Doesnt Crow, Or Gets Mounted... Thats Gonna Require A Subsequent Study.... If It Lays An Egg--- It's Definately A Hen! And If You Care To Mark Them Then Use A Different Color Than The Boyz= Beer Sexing Made Easy [​IMG]

Now This Method Works On Coturnix. I Beleive All Of Your Quail Are Coturnix But You Have A Decent Color Assortment. I Say "i Beleive" Because There Are White And Red Versions Of Bob White Out There... But Their "crow Is Much Different And Both Sexes Do It(for The Most Part) However A Simple Web Search For Bob White Will Easily Show You The Difference In Their Features Compared To Coturnix Quail [​IMG]

7. BjsBestGirl

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    Well, jjmr794, i just researched the byc archives and you're actually the one who helped me figure out what they are. lol. this is what you said...

"red= tuxedo coturnix, likely rosetta tuxedo
    fatty and all like him are brown coturnix
    mini is likely a white button
    silver is likely golden coturnix
    the tiny ones may be runt coturnix or buttons
    the white with spots are english white coturnix unless mini"

ok, so based on this, do i still do the same thing to figure out their gender?

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Same Sexing Method Still Applies, Unless Its Buttons And Then When The Males Mature They Get Red Vent Feathers In Most Colors... Not Sure If All Colors Do But If They Are Buttons Send A Pm To Shellyd2009 And I'm Sure She Can Help With Sexing Them. [​IMG]

It Should Be Noted That Nearly Any Beverage May Be Subsituted For Beer In The Beer Sexing Method, But Alternative Methods May Have Misleading Results.... We Tried Bourbon And Coke Sexing 1 Time.... What A Mess! Woke Up After A Skeeter Banquet And 1/2 The Covey Was Zip Tied To The Walls, The Floor, Or Each Other--- Eh, That Did'nt Work So Well... [​IMG]

9. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] OMG!!! I wasn't going to cop to doing something very similar!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. BjsBestGirl

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    OMG! ROTFLMAO! Thats so funny! I never could have come up with something like that myself. lolololol. too funny. ok, well im fresh out of bourbon and coke but, i always have plenty of beer stocked up in my pepsi machine outside. ok, so ill try it out. i havnt seen anyone mount anyone yet, but definately have crows and very different. ill update you as to the sounds each make. what they sound like. ex: guinnea say "pat-uh-rack".

Thanks,
    Christine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by