Anyone in a COLD climate using sand in the coop and have gone through

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

at least one winter? I read in the other thread about not using it in colder climates. It gets cold here-not usually below zero but it has gone below. I really want to use sand and someone there in upstate NY is using it but hasn't seen a winter yet. So has anyone who is in north central indiana or further north used it through a winter with success?

2. gale65

bump. anyone?

3. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    no.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't know if Seattle is as cold as you are asking about, but I put in sand (sand/stall-dry), maybe 2 years ago. If you are worried about the sand freezing and being too cold, has not been a problem for me. I only use it on the bottom level. (see my page for pix) and the coop is dry, no freezing even when it is below freezing outside.
    My biggest complaint is that it collects debris and is difficult to keep clean.

Imp

5. gale65

Quote:Thank you. I *think* Seattle would be as cold as it is here. I'm not too worried about debris since it'll be in the coop, which will stay closed other than the pop door (at least that's the plan). I did bring it up with my husband and he said we could put straw over it in the winter if I want to.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Thank you. I *think* Seattle would be as cold as it is here. I'm not too worried about debris since it'll be in the coop, which will stay closed other than the pop door (at least that's the plan). I did bring it up with my husband and he said we could put straw over it in the winter if I want to.

To clarify (still early here) By debris I'm only referring to stray feathers, leaves, grass strands etc. Just the untidiness. It does stay very clean by coop standards. FYI- I only had 3 chickens in the coop.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by