Anyone in Alberta with something to buy, sell, trade?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Omeletta, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Even a friendly swap of photos would be nice! What do you have, what do i have? (some days I wonder...) Let's chat! Let's share!

2. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    It is so great to find someone else in Alberta!! We have 5 Wyndottes. We got the 'ladies' in the spring and they have yet to start laying..... I am afraid our winter will kill them off before we see a single egg. [​IMG] I am getting a little nervous about winterizing my coop.

How long have you had chickens? What kind do you havea? What part of Alberta are you in?

4. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    I've had chickens in the barn without insulating and they did just fine. With one heat lamp. What kind of coup do you have and how big??

5. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    We've only had chickens since June. We got 2 mille fleur pullets, who just turned 21 weeks and no eggs yet... [​IMG] but I'm hoping soon. We also have a 1and a half year old silkie hen, named Uh Oh who just hatched out 6 chicks. None of the eggs were hers, when she went broody we put fertilized eggs under her from a friend. All 6 babies are doing well, 4 weeks old now, and BIG! They are standard sized and the silkie is a bantam.

My DH made the coop, my design, and it's completely winterized, seeing as how we only have 3 birds. We are not keeping the 6 chicks, as we are only allowed 3 birds within town limits. We live in a smalltown called Three Hills. We just found out this past spring that chickens are legal here, so we went for it!

We also have french lop, flemish giant breed stock rabbits, 2 lionhead breed stock rabbits, and some red satins coming soon! (as soon as I finish the cage!)

So nice to find a fellow frozen canucksicle! Gotta love Alberta weather!

Is your coop winterized? Do you have pics to share?

Here is mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    We have 5 Wyndottes and a little rabbit hutch that we converted to a chicken coop (after bleaching and cleaning). The only winterizing I have done is using silicone on all the seams so it is totally windproof and it has a fixture for a light bulb (for a heat source/ light source in the winter). I think I am going to have to put in another light fixture to provide light so they will still lay in the winter and use the current one for the red heat lamp.

What else have you done to winterize? How do you post pictures? I would love to show what we have done!

My kids love the chickens. I have some cute shots of them with the 'ladies'. [​IMG]

7. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    Your coop and chickens are lovely.
    Not sure about the weather today, it is only +8 and raining. I think we are in for an early fall.
    I am feeding a flock of Ruffed Grouse, saw mamma with seven babies one day. I just give them the same as my chickens. Can watch them out the window.
    I have a total of 25 chickens. Mixed breeds.
    Love your silkie

8. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Hall Chicks, to post photos, look under faqs at the top of the page. I followed the instructions and opened a "photobucket" account. I didn't want to do it, but I wanted to post pics. It doesn't seem to be spamming me, or anything.

For winterizing, we made a 2x4 contructed coop, then insulated inbetween the boards. This was easy for us, since we are doing renos right now on our house. I really am not sure whether you have to insulate. Just keep out drafts, and moisture. And with only 5 birds you will want to make sure their coop is small enough to keep the warmth in, but big enough to stop them from pecking each other. Also if they have lots to do on cold days, scratching for seeds on the coop floor, pecking at an apple stuck to a nail head. OK, company at the door! Chat later! Have fun with your chooks! [​IMG]

9. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks Chickees mom, it always feels nice when people think your birds are nice. All my friends think I'm wacko for my love of this bird! Sure nice to find other wackos, and you guys are so close to home!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by