Anyone in California raising meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sunnysidecluckers, Feb 16, 2008.

1. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I live in the Monterey area of California. I do have hens and want to raise a few meat birds. My concern is I do not think I can butcher them myself as I do live in the city even though I can have chickens.
    Does anyone know of where I could take them to have them processed?
    Thanks

2. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I live in CA. Up north of you in Redding. There is no one out there that will butcher for you and if you do find some one the charge way to much.

We have a log that has two nails in it that we hook there heads between and then cut off the heads with a hatchet. Then we stuff them in to a 5 gal bucket untill they have bleed out, We do not pluck our birds but skin them just like you would a meat animal. We do not eat the skin so we could not see the point in all that work. It takes only about 5 to 10 min. for the time we enter the coop to when we enter the kitchen with the carcase.

After the first one it is not that hard to do. I had my self worked up big time the first time I did it.[​IMG]

3. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the reply and the info.
    I know that the first time will be the most shocking but you gotta do what you gotta do. BUT my first thing to do is purchase some meat chickens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by