anyone in Florida

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sanctuaryworker, May 15, 2009.

1. sanctuaryworker

sanctuaryworker Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Sunshine State
    does anyone in the central florida area want a duckling for a pet only???

We are going to rescue a chic and a goat sometime early next week and the lady now says she has a little duckling, I dont know what kind or even how old it is, but I could contact her and find out if someone wants the little "guy".

2. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Where in Florida are you? I am on the Space Coast on Merritt Island, near Cocoa Beach. Not exactly Central Florida, which I always think is Orlando, but in Brevard County, on the coast, so not far from there.

Also, if you can find out what kind and how old it is please. Thanks!

Kathy

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I live in Gainesville and go back and forth to Lakeland. I would take him as a friend for my gosling that hatched...he's the only one & he'd love to have a buddy.

4. sanctuaryworker

May 7, 2009
    Sunshine State
    I will keep you guys posted we are trying to get in touch with her now, and we should be going there on Tuesday.

If I dont hear from her before then I will at least take a picture of the duckling and then if you guys decide you want him and she says its ok I will p.m. you her info. I know she is willing to drive the duckling.

5. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    You might want to find out what kind it is...as I have recently found out that Mallards are Illegal in FL. I now have to keep mine hidden.[​IMG]

6. sanctuaryworker

May 7, 2009
    Sunshine State
    thanks for that info... we typically do not rescue ducks, becuase we dont have a place for them, so this whole duck thing is a little new to me.

I just hate hearing how the girl who currently has these guys is being badgered by her boss (who by the way gets paid to help animals) becuase he wants "those dirty nasty creatures out of here!!!"

And I dont think I can go pick up the chick and the goat and leave this poor little duckling. [​IMG]

7. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    I know. DO NOT let it go to a shelter! They will euthanize it... they do not take the time to find someone with a permit. I own one and like I said, I have to keep her hidden. I can't apply for a permit as the feed store I bought her from sold them illegally. You have to have the permit # of the store or person you purchased it from in order to apply for the permit. It's a catch 22.

8. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    It could be a baby Muscovey. There are LOTS of them in Florida. Or, it could be a throw away from someone from this past Easter. It was real cute as a chick in an Easter Basket, and now it's bigger and eating more and they didn't know what to do with it. If that's the case, it could be Pekin, or one of the many others sold by feed stores, etc. Now is about the time we will start seeing the Easter leftovers/throw aways. Poor things.

Keep me posted please.

Thanks.
    Kathy

9. sanctuaryworker

May 7, 2009
    Sunshine State
    Talked to the girl, its a domestic mallard, she took in 12 more ducklings today she has no where to put them... the worst part is neither do I.

I am feeling a little depressed because I dont know what to do at all, we just dont have the space or time for ducks.... arrrgghhh.........

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  10. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    Not sure how to help out here. Is she mentally handicapped? I am just asking, not to be sarcastic or funny, but because there is a reason that you seem to be having to handle all of her animal situations. And she cant keep 1 and she got another 12?! With no where to keep them? If she is, I would take all of them back to where she purchased them and demand your/her money back! If they want to try and impose a "No return on poultry" policy, just point out the fact that selling mallards without a permit in Florida is illegal, and that unless they would like to speak with a FWC officer and fork out a $10,000 fine, they might want to rethink their policy. Is SHE aware that it is a HUGE fine? I would try and find a permitted handler (on here maybe)? Explain your situation and maybe they will be sympathetic to your situation and take them off your hand. Because they can lose there permit and be fined by taking them from an unpermitted person. Here's kinda the problem... if you find someone to take them, thats NOT permited, and they get caught with them (and lets face it, with 13 they will) they are gonna point the finger back at you REAL quick! I feel bad for you... I have ONE, and have sweatted it. I've gone so far as to put up a privacy fence so that she cant be seen. Hope this helps SOME.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by