1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone in Goochland County, VA know the poultry laws?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by MontanaDolphin, Feb 18, 2013.

1. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    My family just moved to Goochland County Virginia, and although I searched the internet, I could not find the laws regarding poultry for my county.

Is there anyone who could steer me in the right direction? My questions are: How many chickens can I have? Do I have to have a certain number of hens per rooster? Can I have a rooster? Am I allowed to own guineas? If so, can I let them roam free on my 8 1/2 acres so they can keep the tick population down, or do they have to be penned? Am I required to have some sort of license? Like if you own more than x amount of dogs, you need a kennel license?

Thank you in advance! I also posted a similar post in the Virginia thread.

2. Grundig

Grundig New Egg

Sep 12, 2013
    Columbia , Va
    Depends on where you are in Goochland county - My best suggestion is check with the extension office - look for a woman name Shannon - she will set you right - http://offices.ext.vt.edu/goochland/
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by