1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone in Missouri want chicks? LOTS of chicks lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CluckyCharms, Oct 4, 2012.

1. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I found this on Craigslist today, for anyone who may not be checking Craigslist. I don't know this person or their hatchery, nor do I know anyone who works there...but I figured I would at least let other people know about the dates/times:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/3306656068.html

I called, and they are NPIP and have several references and health history of their flocks.

Here's another thread about this particular hatchery including backyardchickens.com member experiences.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/427592/heartland-hatchery

Some are great reviews and some are very poor, but we decided to see for ourselves and go check out the chicks tomorrow in Buckner. We'll be there around 3pm if anyone wants to meet-n-greet. WARNING: I have a nasty chest cold so...I'll be the one coughing my lungs out!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. CluckyCharms

What we got:

1 Mille-Fleur
    1 Silver Spangled Hamburg
    1 Welsummer
    1 Silkie (no idea if it's a roo or a pullet but I fell in love with it because it was getting squashed by the others)

I wasn't expecting them to be so stinkin' tiny...they're like little cotton balls. The gentleman there (name was Allen/Alan?) was very nice and conversational and patient with all my questions. He had breed pictures there so I could look and see what they'd look like when they grew up, etc. He took his time and moved through the chicks gently to find the prettiest ones for us. Really nice experience there, and we left with 4 chicks and everything needed for them that we didn't already have. =] They're precious!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sounds like you had a nice experience, which is always good to hear! My DH wisely keeps me away from any opportunity to purchase chicks LOL I have absolutely no control! I'll buy all of them if I can.
    Hope you're feeling better! I've been battling an infection all week myself and I'm just about done. Took some of the chicken's antibiotics to see if that helps and it actually did! [​IMG]

4. CluckyCharms

oh my goodness. LOL :: digs around in bag of chicken supplies :: [​IMG] I'm feeling better in my aches but worse everywhere else - but my fever is gone, so that's probably why the aches are being kept at bay. ty for the warm wishes, and I hope yours is 100% gone soon!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I got some sinus tablets on... Monday I think. Took one and another one later. Early evening DH asked me if I'm hungry, realised I haven't eaten ALL DAY and I'm not hungry. He offers me a drink and I said I'm not sure I can drink after taking the pills, so he checks and discovers the main ingredient is a kind of drug commonly found in diet pills, which explains the lack of appetite and it's also a so-called "upper". Meaning I not only didn't eat, I didn't sleep either! [​IMG]And they're for sinus problems? How does not eating or sleeping help your sinuses?
    Took me 2 days to recover from that mishap and reconsider going to the doctor for some overpriced antibiotics that probably won't work... Then I remembered I had a sick pullet with an infection a few weeks ago and after one bowl of sweetcorn laced with this antibiotics ("for poultry and swine") that I keep handy she was much better. So I said to DH I'm neither poultry nor pork, but I'm not allergic to any medication either and I feel crap, so I'm going to take some. It worked...
    I'm not recommending it though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by