Anyone in NY get npip certified? I have questions!non-nyers welcome

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Sep 5, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    First, is it free in NY? I know that the max number of birds is 300. What is the cost for recertifying(retesting the following year) ?
    What kind of identification system is considered "satisfactory"? Will numbered tags be sufficient enough?

How long does the process take place from testing day to certification receipt?
    What exactly happens that day for inspection/testing, paperwork, etc?

Also what happens after the chicks that are under 4 months of age turn oer 4 months of age? Nothing until the following year?

Also, i know this is just a fish in the dark, but specifically for nyers here, how long did it take to actually get someone out to your place?

Thank you!

I'e looked on the websites and they dont really give too much information, but they do give out the persons email address that you're supposed to email... no phone numbers, or anything.. unless someone kindly has it.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Each state administers the program so differently. Example...in Florida is doesn't cost anything, they only test a percentage of your breeding age birds, they do not band anyone. The paperwork arrives back to you within about 2 weeks. Certification is yearly. Although you are not required to only purchase eggs or birds from NPIP certified breeders, it wouldn't make any sense if you didn't.

3. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Thanks for the info. i like to ask a LOT of questions before shelling out money. I want to know what im getting into before i get into it.-- Getting certified would open up some doors for me and I wanto have my chickens in a row, per se if i decide to go along with it, and i am hesitant to email the guy on the site and bombard him with a lot of questions that i might get answered here.

Anyone else?

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'm in NY too - silly question - do you need this certification if you are not breeding? (ie, no roosters?)..

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The certification is for if you want to show your birds. They need to be tested. Here if I get them tested during the summer, it only lasts for 3 months. With NPIP it lasts a whole year. Also, you are supposed to be certified to ship eggs/live birds. If they are just for egglayers and you arent breeding them, theres really no reason to get tested.

7. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Thank you so much!! I sent you a om with my email.

And fwiw, i did want to start hatching and selling locally. I dont have to be npip certified to do this, but i think it would open up doors and just to do it would be a good thing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by