Anyone in So Cal interested in sharing an order of ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HappySlappyDuckfeet, May 16, 2011.

1. HappySlappyDuckfeet

HappySlappyDuckfeet Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Garden Grove
    Hey fellow peepers! I'm in Garden Grove, Orange County and I'm thinking of getting a second duck as companion for my Pekin gal. I want a crested, methinks (I just love the elvis hair heheh)and I do want a very young sexed duckling for imprinting to make a good pet. I want eggs and thus considered a runner but I've heard that the runners are more skittish than average, whereas I want a lap-duck. :p Have heard that crested are a lot like pekins in their ability to socialize with people so..yeah, there you go. All the websites require a minimum order of 4-6 but I of course only need one. Hoping to find someone nearby who might want to share the order and take the other babies. I'll of course split the shipping cost and pony up the cost of the one crested duckling. shoot me a PM if interested! [​IMG]

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Where are you planning on ordering from?

3. HappySlappyDuckfeet

May 8, 2011
    Garden Grove
    California Hatchery, maybe Metzer...this would be my first time ordering ducklings so I'd be open to suggestions. [​IMG] I certainly need a hatchery that is known for providing healthy ducks and will sex for an added fee. California Hatchery is just a 6 hour drive from me but I'm not keen on a road trip, lol!

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. duckymommyyy

duckymommyyy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Meltzer's minimum is 10 ducklings but they allow you to order as few as 2. The only thing is they charge a minimum $35 if you do though.
    I posted an ad in craigslist ad for someone in Orange county to share orders with me, and people do respond but when you respond to them again, they
    always change their minds! You only want one duckling, and I only want one sexed male jumbo pekin duckling, but it would be cheaper for other people
    to pitch in too since 2 would cost the same as like 5 (about $50) after all the shipping costs. You can add grow gel for like 50 cents per duckling so they
    have food and nutrients/hydration on their trip here. The meltzer's hatchery is in San Fran area so it should come pretty quick and they get a lot of good
    reviews and raise their ducklings on site. Let me know. I would want one! I live in Garden Grove area too. I would want to pick it up the day it comes so
    it can imprint on me! :]

5. HappySlappyDuckfeet

May 8, 2011
    Garden Grove
    I'd be happy to go in on a shared order. Let's see if we can get anyone else local to pitch in!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I am pretty sure Metzer's is in Gonzales, quite a ways from San Francisco (about 125 miles south of it, as a matter of fact).

7. duckymommyyy

Apr 16, 2011
    Yea I know, but I definitely is way far for us so cal people! lol. I just knew they were up north like at least 6 hours away! haha

8. HappySlappyDuckfeet

May 8, 2011
    Garden Grove
    so..anyone?

9. duckymommyyy

Apr 16, 2011
    i found us another person in OC wanting a duckling. :]
    so thats three of us...about $20 a person unless we get more of us to order or someone wants more than one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by