1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone in the US have the Sepia Muscovy gene?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iajewel, Oct 16, 2011.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Im looking for other people in the US who have the sepia gene in their flock. Its rare here and I would like to hook up with others who have it so we have a larger gene pool.

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I don't know what that is, please enlighten me.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    D'Angelo N Va. :

I don't know what that is, please enlighten me.

X2?​

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Is it the chocolate feathers with a green tint? If so, I have a drake that has a green sheen to some of the feathers along his back.

5. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:X2?

X3

6. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    the sepia gene is what we(aussies) call "bronze". might as well take the oppurtuniy to show off my new drake![​IMG] and yes they do have a green sheen, this guy is a little wet in the pic so it doesnt really show.

[​IMG]

3 different shades of bronze or sepia girls
    [​IMG]

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I think my breeding trio is that color. I always thought they were black and white pied, but I've been told that they are not black.
    They just finished up a molt, so the feathers haven't completely filled in yet.
    They look black with a green shine to their feathers. I know it's hard to tell in pics, but once I get them posted maybe you can let me know!

Here are some pictures of my drake and one of the hens. The other hen is this same color, she is barred, and her feathers have a bit more brownish/copper color to them. (she is on a nest with babies that started hatching today, so it's too dark in her nest to get a good pic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  8. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    There is a difference between Bronze and Sepia. Bronze was shown correctly however that drake is not sepia. Sepia effects the skin. This means the carcuncles, feet, and bill as well as the skin are all a Khaki colour. The feathers are like a Khaki campbel in color. The whole bird is effected through the skin. Sepia is known as (f) however bronze is not.
    Think of a brown dog, with brown nose, brown food pads and brown around his eye lids. The whole dog is effected by the brown gene, same thing, only with ducks.

9. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Quote:Your drake is a black. Don't confuse the green sheen. Black has the sheen and the sheen in the bronze comes from the black in the bronze mixed feathers.

10. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    A friend sent me this photo and I don't think he would mind me sharing if it would help clear up color questions. I have a problem with this bird as sepia effects the SKIN and this bird although has the right color, the skin doesn't seem to be effected.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by