1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone in the Watkins Glen area?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by xke4, Sep 10, 2010.

1. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    My daughter is going to be an intern at the Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen for 2 months and I am trying to figure out which airport would be the best one for me to use. There is a straight shot from Toronto to Rochester but it means that I would have to find ground transportation (1.5 hours away?). Ithaca is an option but it would mean stopping off at Laguardia between Christmas and New Years and I worry that might be a nightmare. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    no suggestions on Ithaca, ive never actually flown, but i have driven to the syracuse airport and i believe it is better driving to and from the syracuse one than the Rochester one. I used to live in Romulus, and i know Ithaca would be way more convenient only because of the distance ANd the fact during that time of the year, i cant even stand to enter ithaca on the bad downhill with ice and snow and slush on the roads.

Just on that info alone i would say have ground travel from ithaca to WG.

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    It's a very easy drive from rochester to watkins glen. I think that is the best bet. I hate laguardia!
    I didn't even know they had an airport in ithaca!
    I would rent a car in rochester and drive to watkins glen. (ya, bout 1.5 hrs maybe 2) Watkins glen is pretty! Hope she has a good time there

4. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Renting a car didn't even occur to me! She and I are driving down the end of October from Ontario and as she will be miles away from anything, I will leave her with my car and fly back. Then come the end of Dec ( wondering why she picked this time frame!!), I will fly down and drive back with her. As long as they have a car return somewhere in Watkins Glen, I'm golden! Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'll let the others help you with the best way to get there, but good for her for interning at Farm Sanctuary! [​IMG]

I am a long time member and have volunteered there on many occasions and love to go stay at their rental cabins and help out on the farm. They are my favorite animal charity and the people there are wonderful. She's going to get a fantastic life experience interning there. I cannot speak highly enough of them. [​IMG] The area there is beautiful as well.

6. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    How about Binghamton? Theres an airport there as well---

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by