Anyone in WNC want a rescue Doxie? (PICS) JOE FOUND A HOME UPDATE

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EmtheFishLady, Jan 17, 2011.

1. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    We rescued a little mini dachshund near death a few weeks ago. We paid the lady 75.00 to get him out of the situation he was in, he was near death when we got him and had a few issues he needed to work through. He's gained weight and we want to see him go to a great home now. He was food aggressive with other dogs. He didn't show any aggression with us from the time we rescued him till now. We've been working through his food aggression and he seems to be getting better with that, although feeding him separately would probably still be best. He tolerates my one year old well, but she does make him nervous so I'd prefer he go to a home without children. He's never tried to bite any of us, and never even shown any signs he would. My one year old has even carried him around and he was fine with it, but as I said, she makes him nervous. He is a beautiful little dapple doxie. He has an amazing personality, is very loving, and such a little lap baby! He still has some weight to put back on, but he's out of the woods now at least. I normally would give him more time here, but the little fellow is miserable with all the noise and crazyness that goes on in my household, and for some reason my standard poodle cannot stand him. We took him to our vet the same day we got him, and he sent him home with a clean bill of health and the recommendation we FEED THAT BOY. I've given him a shot from the feed store, but we've been waiting for the shot clinic to come around to get him all his shots. He needs to be fixed as well, and I'm trying to get him an appointment with the humane society to get that done. It sounds horrible, but I'm really just trying to save as much money as I can or I'd just take him back to our vet. (our vet thought he was in too bad of shape to give him his shots when he saw him) I'm posting some pics I took the first week we got him, I'll take some updated pictures when I can find my camera. We're not asking anything for him other than that you give him a great home and make sure to get him fully vetted. Also want him to come back to us should you ever need to find him a home for some reason.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Should also add that we had him groomed and had his nails clipped and he was a little gentleman. He smelled horrible when we got him and his nails were so long I'm sure they had never been clipped.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I wish I could have him! My dad would love him! Good Luck finding him a home!

4. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:Well if you're willing to drive to Western North Carolina....[​IMG]

In all seriousness though we just want him to have the best home. I've turned down one of my friends already because I didn't think they were a really good fit. (She has two young kids who are...well, they're monsters.)

5. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Also if anyone knows anyone in the area looking for a Doxie, please let me know!

6. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    Good luck finding him a home! Good of you to take him in as well! How is he with other dogs (aside from the food aggression)? I'm not a fan of doxies, but my aunt loves them...she's in the High Point area...already has 3 small indoor dogs though...I might send her the link anyway

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'll ask the husband when he gets home from work. We have three dogs already, but what's one more little feller?

8. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    He's great with other dogs. The food aggression aside...although as thin as this boy was, I expected food aggression. He let's me take his food without a problem. Doesn't even growl. He's gotten better even sharing food with my Chihuahua. He is such a good baby. He deserves an awesome home. We are calling him beautiful Joe. From the book. Lol

9. GreatPyrLover

GreatPyrLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    There is nothing in this world like a dachshund!!! I have three!!!! You know there is a really nice dachshund rescue in NC that will take him and get him fixed and completly vetted and find him a good home. Thats just something to consider....if not I really hope you find him a good home, he surely doesnt need to go back to something like he was in before!!! Thanks for rescuing him!!! [​IMG]

10. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I contacted them. No cigar. I don't really like their group anyway. I think they ask waaaay too large a fee to adopt. I know they probably ha e much more invested, but when you can buy a Doxie puppy for anywhere to 100.00 to 400.00, why would you pay 300.00 for an older dog and jump through all the hoops they want you to?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by