Anyone interested in a swap in RI/ SE MA?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by liljunie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Is anyone interested in starting a swap in RI or SE Mass (Tractor Supply)? Swansea MA has a nice TSC that has a large parking lot and they allow local shelters to bring animals on certain Saturdays. There is tons of foot traffic in that plaza, with a potential for retail customers as well as other swappers.

2. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    YES I was just thinking that a few days ago about starting one down here.

3. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    I am becoming npip certified next week and would love a local place for a swap. Maybe we could set up a meeting if we get some interest! I will contact a couple of people I know locally and maybe we should post in the where are you ma/ri thread?

4. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Yes sounds good. I'm not NPIP certified yet, but hopefully I will be soon.

5. KatieGB

KatieGB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    Do you know if you can bring animals to the Swansea market, or do you need to buy a stall/table? I have two beautiful 17-week old roosters, organically raised and free ranging fellows who I must give away. Thought this might be a good place to try.

6. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    I don't know what the Swansea market is. I know they have a livestock auction in Swansea.

7. KatieGB

Apr 25, 2013
    Sorry, I meant the auction in Swansea. I was wondering if I brought by two roosters there to give away (not auction), if there were rules preventing me from doing so (like having to pay to be there). I apologize for the confusion.

8. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    I am not sure how the auction works, I went once but was turned off by the entire thing. Very smelly, ill cared for poultry in small wooden crates or boxes. I think most of the roosters there are sold for food, there were so many. Have you tried free on CL?

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm interestedif the drive isn't too far. Will google swansea.

10. KatieGB

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks for your input on Swansea. I appreciate it. CL sort of scares me, because of some bad stories I have heard. I realize that once given away, the birds may turn up on someone's plate (sad, but true). But I must get rid of them. The heritage Dominique is so gorgeous, I am sad to see him go. :( I am off Cape and will keep looking for a suitable "home" for these guys. I would post on BYC swap/sell (should have a "give away" too), but I get the impression that most folks don't want roosters anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by