1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone Interested in Changing Chicken Laws in Grand Prairie, TX?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by babalubird, Nov 13, 2009.

1. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Hi, I'm planning on going to a Grand Prairie, TX city counsel meeting and try to change the chicken laws in this town. Is anyone else here from Grand Prairie interested and willing to help me accomplish this?

One reasonable voice at the Animal Shelter seems aware that Dallas laws do allow them and with the "green thinking" nowadays that the at least some of the city officials are willing to listen to a compromise at this time.

There is strength in numbers. Can you PM me if you are willing to accompany me to a meeting and to also perhaps sign up to speak on the subject for 5 minutes at the end of their city counsel meeting?

Thanks.

Connie

2. valereee

valereee Ordinance Wrangler

Apr 30, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Connie, I'm in Ohio, so I can't attend your meeting, but I wanted to give you the presentation we made to our city council here that turned them around -- they criminalized the keeping of chickens in July (unanimous vote), and we persuaded them to relegalize them -- unanimously, and only six months later. As long as the third reading goes off next month, chickens will be legal again here. Here's a link to our presentation. Feel free to steal everything in it and edit it to reflect the situation in your town:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16509728/Changing-Your-Citys-Chicken-Laws

3. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Thanks so very much, Valeree. I will take your advice and copy your presentation to the Tee.

Connie

4. valereee

valereee Ordinance Wrangler

Apr 30, 2009
    Cincinnati
    You're welcome! Best of luck to you!

Val

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good luck!