Anyone keep chickens off-site?

Tippyman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
I'm thinking about keeping some chickens on some remote land. No power, just basically a hunting get-away.

I'm thinking about using one of those automatic deer-feeders to scatter food a couple times a day, water supplied by the natural creek, and let 'em free range.

At night, they'll have a secure coop with automatic door running off of solar. Anyone attempted something like this? I'll probably try some dual-purpose breeds because I obviously won't be getting alot of eggs if they're only going to be tended to once every two weeks or so. I'm thinking nesting boxes are a bad idea because they'll fill up fast.

My other concern is that they'll never use the coop, nest in trees, and they'll get eaten by coons of whatnot at night.

Anyone try an (almost) self-sustaining flock before?

Your flock would be gone in a matter of days if they're not in a secure coop and attached run. Even then, I wouldn't bet on them making it very long just because predators - raccoons especially - would have plenty of time to find any weak spots in your setup. Predators don't just attack at night. All the "nocturnal" ones are really opportunists and will attack your flock day or night. We just lost one on Friday to (what I now think is a snowy owl) in the middle of the day. I lost several to coyotes in the middle of the day a couple of years ago. And we live right here where we keep the chickens. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money if you're not going to be there on a daily basis or keep them in a secure run during the day.

I truthfully agree with Bobbi -J. I live in a remote area, and predators are a constant problem. Once they get a taste for chicken, they are back time and again. And I AM here every day.

I am betting on the predators figuring out your coop and door. The automatic feeder is going to draw in other animals too.

Hate to rain on your parade, but chickens are a prey animal.

Mrs K

Last edited:
I truthfully agree with Bobbi -J. I live in a remote area, and predators are a constant problem. Once they get a taste for chicken, they are back time and again. And I AM here every day.

I am betting on the predators figuring out your coop and door. The automatic feeder is going to draw in other animals too.

Hate to rain on your parade, but chickens are a prey animal.

Mrs K
Yep - all of our attacks have been right here in our building site. The raccoon that took out my best broody attacked in the daytime while my husband was in his shop, not 100 yards away.

Everything likes chicken!

I have a couple of chickens at my husbands work office A half hour away from home. He checks the food and water for me and I try to get out there when I can to clean out the coop. It can be done. I just have to figure out how to introduce our new flock when the time comes. Where brooding them at home. We can't have chickens legally where I am.

Back
Top Bottom