1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone keeping new chicks outside ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aquaman05, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Aquaman05

Aquaman05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Well I didn't really want new baby's this year but its kinda hard to walk past them at the store!
    So I have 5 and I am keeping them outside with heat lamp.
    Anyone else doing this ? It's still cold outside so I guess I'm just worried about them getting to cold.

2. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I'm keeping mine I a cage in the wood shed with a heat lamp too. In the wood shed there is a breeze & it's cold bc the window broke outta the door, but I made a brooder & the chicks should be a-okay!
    What are your chicks in outside?

3. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    **in a cage not I a cage** sorry lol

4. Aquaman05

May 2, 2012
    Mine are in my barn. I just took 4 straw bales made some walls the covered the floor with pine shavings . Then the heat lamp

5. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I'd say they'll be just fine. Good luck!

6. Aquaman05

May 2, 2012
    Thanks for your input !

I moved the heat lamp down kinda close I just hope if they get to hot they know to move out of the heat ..

7. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    Here. I have 3 outside near chicken coop but isn't too cold here around mids 60's

8. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Been wondering about this myself.

I have a couple cages outside that would be perfect for chicks, but I am a little concerned about the cold nights around here. Gets down to the high 20's on a clear night this time of year. I am pretty sure the chicks would simply huddle under the lamp in those temps, but am worried about the ones on the outside of the pile getting too cold.

Want to get some chicks, but may have to wait till late Feb/early March before I do so. Local feed store will get their first order in on Friday. Hard to resist all that chirping as you walk by.

9. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'd be careful with straw. It catches on fire from headlamps. I put chicks in a stock tank. I put a heat lamp in about 12 inches high. I then cover the tank with a piece of tin. I have several hundred brooding this way in several tanks. We do well with this set up in Colorado random weather.

10. LadyBrenSirMike

LadyBrenSirMike New Egg

Jun 16, 2012
    NE Florida
    I am so glad you started this thread
    We have a green house that is currently running around 80 degrees and I was thinking of moving the chicks out there in a week or so.
    We have ours currently in a dog's crate in our laundry room. It is the first time we've raised chicks and they seem quite content and I swear they like to tease the dog LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by