Anyone know a good butcher in the Norwich, CT area?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jmatkovi, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jmatkovi

jmatkovi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Lebanon, CT
    Hello I'm new to the sit and the Connecticut area. I'm currently purchasing a house with a coop and was wondering if anyone knows a good poultry butcher in the area of Norwich. I'm going to be making a purtches of chicks soon and would like to get some meat birds along with my eggers. I have been looking around for a little over a week and have not been successful.[​IMG]

2. bestponymilo

bestponymilo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Have you checked the local feed stores? That's how I found one of my processors.

How far are you willing to drive? I know of someone in the Granby, CT area.

3. jmatkovi

Aug 17, 2008
    Lebanon, CT
    I will be moving to the area in about a week so I haven't had time to check the local feed stores. I have already tryed a few butcher shop and Salem Feed and Grain. None of them do chickens and they don't know anyone who does. [​IMG]

4. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    there's several people on this thread from the CT area that i'm sure would be happy to help you. just wait a couple of hours and i'm sure they'll post. [​IMG]

5. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I am in Moodus, Perfectly_Polish is local to you, Henrietta23 is local, we've been learning to process with PurpleChicken (he's way out there with some others we've been working with). We're not professionals, but we're learning how to take care of birds on our own. We'll be planning a processing party this fall for our range broilers...perhaps it would be an opportunity for you to join...if you're interested in processing yourself. If you're not ready for that, another "grain" place to check is Norwich Agway. They are probably listed under Yantic. There's also a TSC in Griswold that may have some leads. There used to be a guy who worked at Salem Prime Cuts, but I haven't been able to locate him recently.

Oh and swampyankee has been missing for awhile but i think they were interested in helping/learning too!!

You're in a good area for chicken folks!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  6. jmatkovi

Aug 17, 2008
    Lebanon, CT
    Actually I would be interested in going and learning how to process. I have never done it myself and I'm planning on getting some Cornish X Rocks next spring for processing. If you could get me the info on who to call I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I was just looking for a butcher right now because I'm about to place an order for some layer chicks and I was hoping to get a few meat birds as well. Since I don't have any experience in processing or the equipment needed I can't do it myself.

7. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    We've got a "learning party" going on Sunday in Middle Haddam. If you're interested, I'll PM you the address!
    I'd like to order some meaties, maybe i can order with you?

8. poultrypal

poultrypal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Kind of far from Norwich but someone I know used to take thier birds to UCONN. Their agricutural students processed them. Not sure if they are still doing this but would be worth looking into if you don't mind the drive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by