Anyone know a good publisher?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicken_china_mom, Aug 16, 2010.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Well, I wrote another children's book the other day. Based it on the new little sweetheart that has stolen our hearts, Charlotte, the Call duckling. My kids read it and loved it, and my friend read it to her 3 yr old and he loved it, so I would like to get it published, and the sooner the better. Anyone know of a good publisher, or what processes I need to go through in order to get it published? Any info would be much appreciated, thank you.

And for those that suggest self publishing, I just don't have the money to do that right now.

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    As I understand it, you need to find yourself an agent first. Then, the agent works with and for you to help you find a publisher.

There are a few peeps on BYC who are published authors who might be able to help you answer your question better than I can, though. [​IMG]

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    The traditional route (agent and publisher) is tough so many people have found other ways. It's awfully hard to go the traditional route, but people do still do it. There are websites that list both publishers and agents, and say what sort of books they handle and what they're looking for now, so you can get started.

Self publishing doesn't have to be so bad. There are so called 'vanity presses' that 'self publish' for you but are expensive, so what some people do is use their own computer to format and lay out the book(say, Microsoft Word or similar software), then get it printed by a small local printer, and sell the book themselves. Illustrations can be scanned and added into the book itself.

Selling a book isn't so bad. I've been to club meetings, seminars and activities, where people brought their books and showed them to people and actually did pretty well.

A friend of mine did the self publishing by himself, and frankly he has plenty of demand. He has a little paperback book he wrote on how to identify genuine antiques. He doesn't count the time he spent laying out the book or the time spent answering emails and calls, he just counts the printing costs, and says he makes a good profit on selling the books.

The book can also be downloaded, people do like to download books these days. That means you don't have to get it printed at all. Just format, illustrate. Downloading is usually cheaper than a printed book, but one might get a lot more downloads sold.

Some people will advertise their book on their own blogsite or website, and sell it that way. Others will put it up on Amazon, and not get any printed unless someone actually contacts them and orders one.

Nowadays, with blogs so popular, some people will actually publish their book material on their blogsite. Google and other sites will make an arrangement with you, that they will choose related ads and format them onto your blog, and send you a check if anyone clicks on the ads and reads them. Potentially, that could be a lot of clicks.

The other thing you might consider is a writer's workshop or a class in creative writing (I took a free one at Borders). That is a good way to meet people and find out about different ways of publishing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by