Anyone know about a big round bulge on chicks chest? Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CA Bean, Aug 19, 2008.

1. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone, new to chickies and had a quick question..So we have 16 chicks total now and just got these 4 today. 2 are meat birds Cornish X, and 2 are Ameraucanas. I had gotten 2 of the Ameraurcanas a couple days prior from the same batch and didn't notice any of the birds with this on it- bump on chest. So the 2 Cornish X chicks all are at a couple days old and one of the Ameraucana chicks have this tumor or round 1/2 dollar/quarter size round tumorish bump on its chest. I thought it could be normal for the meat birds since they get broad chests was my figuring but then the 1 Ameraucana had it too. What is this and is this normal? Does anyone know or should I post it somewhere else?
    Should I return these guys? None of my other chicks have that.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks!

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Have they just eaten? It could be that their crop is full. That is normal. If you don't think it's that, could you post a photo?

3. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    How old are they?

4. CA Bean

They are more like 6 days old is when the feed store got them in. I will try to post a pic in a few but none of my other ones have this. It literally feels like a weid big tumor that moves around on their chest when I pick them up.

5. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Souds like a full crop. Is it more pronounced after they eat?

6. CA Bean

Ok lets see if I can load this pic

one that is normal looking..
    [​IMG]

and the weird bulby round thing when I pick this guy up. The Cornish X

[​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just means you are feeding them well. Full crops.

8. CA Bean

OMG! What a relief...but whoa that is weird, their stomachs on their chest..
    ??

Hmm my other ones never feel this way..hope everything is ok with them.

9. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    The crop is not the stomach.

Think of the crop as like a hamster's cheeks. The bird forages and food sits and waits in the crop until it can be accommodated in the true stomach (where chemical action starts to break it down) then ground up in the gizzard, then maybe sent back to the stomach if necessary. Sort of a reverse cud-chewing.

Google image search "chicken anatomy" for charts of these organs. In a chicken, the crop is on the right side of the bird.

If you feel the crop of a bird that has been eating, say, large whole grains, you can feel every kernel.

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    You should see the crop on baby parrots. There is not a lot of down on them and on light skinned birds you can actually see the crop filling and emptying with food.
    I keep saying that at least chickens can feed themselves from day one. NOt like the parrots....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by