Anyone know about copyright laws?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ec_Prokta, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    I'd like to ask a few questions about downloading foreign and soundtrack music for your own personal use. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  2. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    I know some things... depends on what you want to know. [​IMG]

3. Ec_Prokta

Jan 14, 2009
    Okay.

1. Is downloading a song for your own personal use from a free music downloading site illegal?
    2. If I wanted to download a remix of a song someone made, would that be illegal?
    3. Does it matter if the music is foreign or imposible to obtain by other mains? *coughTouhousoundtrackcough*
    4. If this is all illegal, why doesn't the government do anything about it?

Thanks.

4. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    1. no if it's for your own personal use.
    2.not sure on that one...
    3. most foreign have an "agent" in the u.s that deals with the same laws so I'll say yes...
    4. usually the owner of said music would have to sue you so...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:If it is copywritten here in the USA it is illegal. However, if it is NOT copywritten here, have at it! #2 - yes #3 see first statement. #4 are you kidding me??? In the age of terrorist threats and drug dealing, homicides and robberies, pirating is not at the top of their list.

6. Ec_Prokta

Jan 14, 2009
    Quote:If it is copywritten here in the USA it is illegal. However, if it is NOT copywritten here, have at it! #2 - yes #3 see first statement. #4 are you kidding me??? In the age of terrorist threats and drug dealing, homicides and robberies, pirating is not at the top of their list.

Okay, thanks.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is international copyright law, and the US acknowledges and participates in it (probably a treaty). So just because it is from a foreign country, it is still protected by law! Periodically there ARE stings, and people have ended up owing thousands of $$$. That you are even asking makes me think you know it is illegal.

Make the effort to contact the artist and acquire a legitimate copy.

Let's say you write a book--and it is a best seller--making you a nice tidy profit for the time you spent writing. But wait--no one BOUGHT the book legally, so you received no royalties or income. Instead they STOLE your book! Leaving you incomeless for the time it took to write your book! Hope that makes you look at things a bit differently.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this site (which is a legal way of acquiring music) would appeal to your tastes: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/ It's been around for at least ten years.

9. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    The government does do something about it. Just not as interesting as other news. Usually people get sued and taken to court and/or have to pay a fine.

10. Ec_Prokta

Jan 14, 2009
    Quote:Thanks so much! Now I can go get the Persona soundtrack without any worries!

And thanks to all you guys for answering my question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by