Anyone know about dubbing frostbite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NYRIR, Jan 27, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    My roos got frostbite [​IMG] I think I should dub them but need to know how far down to do it...and if it would be a bad idea to do it now? One I think may have a bit of infection...not sure.I put triple antibiotic ointment on it this am.Should I wait on him? I HATE to do it at all but some of the points are black...and obviously dead tissue.
    [​IMG] I hate winter!!!
    Thank you for any helpful advice!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Don't cut, just keep applying the antibiotic. the blk will dry up and it will fall off on it's own.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1

I have no personal experience with frostbite, but have read others' accounts of how it will fall off by itself.

4. odd87

odd87 New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    I recently asked some questions about this as my three roosters have a bit of the cold winter bite this year and I was curious if there was anything that could be done for them other then the natures course route. That being said there wasn't much in response to my questions however maybe I can be of some assistance to you. I've been applying betadine twice a day (found that in a previous post that someone else said, I did some searching and found some info myself, tried it and it does work quite well) also after the second application of betadine is dry at night I apply a nite time application of triple antibiotic ointment and today some of the dead frostbitten comb fell off of the one and he's looking much better. So anyhow this is what worked for me. I've never dubbed any of them before and to be honest no one in my area does either........that I've ever heard off. Good luck with your frost bite hopefully this cold will be over soon!!!!!!!!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    hey odd87 [​IMG]

6. odd87

odd87 New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks, been on here for awhile just usually keep pretty quiet

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As others have said. You don't have to do anything. The dead parts will dry up and drop off on their own. Winter's low temps/frostbite = nature's dubbing process. Many years ago when I was showing lt brown leghorn bantams I used to bring the roosters into my cellar every winter. Talk about alarm clocks.[​IMG]

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Ok...that's good news! I HATED the thought of cutting...yuck!

Quote:Thanks,will get the betadine asap! ugh....only 8 to do ! [​IMG]

Quote:Nice...bet that was relaxing to wake up to!! [​IMG]
    Again,thanks everyone...glad I asked before I cut.It just looks so bad I needed to do something....hoping next year we'll be better equipped for these kind of temps!
    BYC rocks!!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Relaxing to me. The Princess wasn't too pleased.[​IMG] There are several humorous "family stories" about this situation.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by