Anyone know about Hearts??????

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by oesdog, Aug 11, 2011.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    My DH had heart surgery 2 yrs ago and is still very ill. He rarely has much energy. Sometimes he losses all colour and goes grey and other times he goes real hot and the sweat is litterally dripping off his nose. He had a stent and two angioplasts done but has not seemed to be that much better longterm.

Today we were back at the hospital and he had tests again they told him he had elevated T waves and his BP was 120/50 very low and that was on the treadmill in excersize??

They asked we come back next friday for more tests? About two weeks ago DH was in such pain with the chest but refused to get an ambulance. Sometimes he is way too stuborn. He is using the GTN loads on and off I am worried.

Oesdog [​IMG]

2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    I would get a second opinion, if its been 2 yrs since surgery and he still feels bad, something is not right , Be sure to get a second or even third opinion from other doctors, A woman at my work had a doulble bypass, about 3 months ago and she is already back at work , I trhink she is like 65 or 66 years old, but get a second opinion

I know this sounds odd but have they xrayed him , you see all the time on the news about stuff[scalpel,snips ,etc] being left in the body after surgery,You never know

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Something doesn't sound right at all. My husband has two stents the first one when he was 42 and the second when he was 47 all due to plaque build up from cholesterol. He is fit as a fiddle and can more things now than he did several years ago. Has tons of energy and feels great. He does watch what he eats and works out.

There has to be some other condition they are missing. Definately get a second opinion. Is he seeing a Cardiologist or just a docotor at the hospital?

The only two things that come to mind would be either Hypotension or Cardiac Tamponade http://www.ask.com/wiki/Cardiac_tamponade.

Oh is he low on any vitamins like maybe B6?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My 90 year old father has both heart and breathing problems. The medicines that help one issue often worsen the other. His doctors have to closely monitor both conditions and work together to keep both heart and lungs working properly. One of the medicines they had him on a couple of years ago reduced his blood pressure to the point that he was sleeping most of the day and had almost no energy. Once they realized how low his blood pressure was (and I really do not remember the numbers) they altered the medicines and doses and in a very short timeframe he was back to being himself.

As for refusing an ambulance, if he is in that bad a shape, call 911 yourself and explain what is going on. They should be able to evaluate whether he needs to ambulance or simply for you to drive him to the hospital.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    There are times in every wife's life when she has to put her foot down with her husband and insist he do what is necessary to take care of himself. Sometimes they need to be reminded that they're being selfish by not keeping themselves alive. Your husband sounds quite ill. Unless you have a specific diagnosis of something that should not be repaired by the surgeries then there IS something else wrong. He should have felt lots better after the surgery.

Doesn't he get follow up care with a cardiologist?? Insist. time for you to put on your big girl panties and demand that he get seen and seen now. He needs further testing and evaluation. If he loses color and goes gray you don't have any time to waste. If he is experiencing chest pains you don't have time to waste. Every episode costs him heart muscle and probably brain cells.

I get so annoyed with men who put their wives in this position - Men if you are reading this - taking care of your health is just s much your responsibility as taking care of her car or making money to keep food on the table. You can't do those things if you are dead or disabled.

Good luck hon! [​IMG] Oh, BTW start taking notes! Write down his symptoms and when you start calling doctors write down who you called and what s/he said. It will get confusing very quickly if you don't and keeping track of DH's symptoms will help the doctor get a better picture of what is wrong.

6. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks for the support and help from all of you.

I have to point a few things out though. We are not located in the USA and so things in the medical side of care are very different here than under your system.
    Unless we go private we cannot choose the consaltants we see. To go private here would be madness as it would be more than the cost of our house for longterm coronary care! We have the NHS system which means we all get free health care. It has its down sides though in that we had to wait 16 weeks for the last batch of tests.

Dh does get regular post op care from the cardiologist. The cardiologist is the top man here at our hospital so cant complain but regular checks usually means once a year! It is hard to get any more appointments than that. You don;t just get one here you have to get a GP referal and that can take months. The cardiologist felt that Dh was recovering well and was going to take him off his care list but we know there is something wrong they are missing and that is why I kept taking DH back to the GP! And why we had the appointment - yes I do have my big girl panties on but sometimes the system here is so darn slow.

I can understand why DH doesn;t want to go to hospital - They have long waits here and its not the best. Also we have two disabled boys and I think DH feels like he doesn;t want to leave me to deal with them etc. Our Emergency number is 999 not 911 by the way and we live so far out in the countryside we would be past the golden hour by the time the Ambulance got here and back to the hospital. The Ambulance guys we know often joke they would be better sending a hurse! Not good news.

We know something is very wrong but its getting to know what that is and putting it right. He should be ok but he is still as bad as ever he was before the surgery. Also for the person who thought something could be left inside him. It is highly unlikely as the procedure for stents to be inserted is NOT open heart surgery its a tiny tube fed though veins in the arm or groin into the heart so there is little chance of something being forgotten or left behind.

We rarely go a day when DH hasn;t got to lay down for hours. he gets so exhausted. Things he would have done no problem he cannot now manage. Things like laying carpet or painting the house or staining the fences we find increasingly we have to pay others to come and do were as only a few years ago DH would have done those things no bother. DH is 51 yrs old so isn;t exactly old or anything like. Just a few years ago he was putting in 18hr days and now he cannot manage 4 hours pottering about the house without having to go lay down????

Anyhow thanks I was just wondering if anyone knew more about why the T wave would be raised. Suggests blockage in the heart again I think????

Oesdog [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. greeneggsandham

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    I know things are done a little differently in other parts of the world that's why I asked if he was indeed seeing a cardiologist. Great to hear that he is.

Now for the T waves. Here are a few things that I found could be the cause of them being elevated on your hubby.

Elevated T-waves are usually indicative of a hyperkalemic state, which basically means too much potassium in the body. However, there are other conditions in which elevated T-waves can present such as myocardial infarction (heart attack), or a condition known as "left ventricular hypertrophy" in which the chamber of the heart responsible for pumping your blood to the rest of your body becomes enlarged (probably due to being overworked).

When he goes in for his check-ups what type of tests does the doctor perform?

Have they ever taken x-rays of his heart?

Does the doctor perform nuclear cardiac stress testing? This explains what nuclear testing is. http://www.heartcc.com/services_nuclear.htm

My
    husband has to go once a year for this along with the EKG and a one other thing that I can't remember.

With your husband going gray that concerns me. That means his heart is not pumping the blood to his body correctly.

I wish I could send you and your husband a ticket to CT my husbands cardiologist is amazing.

Oesdog you are an amazing woman to be going through all that you are. [​IMG]

8. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks - I will have to think on the tests. It all gets a bit confussing and this last time he went they were not nice to me or friendly. Basically they didn;t explain anything to us and just whisked him away fro the tests and left me waiting like a spare wheel! Eventually I got him back but he was very distressed.

He has had treadmill tests, A dye put into the heart to show up all the veins and arturies. He also had a test which involved Radioactive stuff becasue we were told he was not allowed to be near our granddaughter for 48hrs after. I am just thinnking on my feet here at what weve had done. Anyhow he is always tired and goes grey a lot. Our locum Dr know straight away it was his heart last time just by looking at his colour. I just feel they don;t believe us much when we tell them something is wrong and I know even though he is 51 he should not be so tired all of the time and comming over very hot and the sweat litterally dripping off his nose when he hasn;t even done any excersize is simply not at all right?

Anyhow thanks for the mail. I am worrying about it all. I wish they would talk to us more about the tests and everything - it is all very clinical here and not the way it once was years ago in hospitals.

Oesdog

9. greeneggsandham

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    All those tests you mentioned are ones that my husband has done.
    The doctor should be sitting with you and your husband to go over step by step what all the results are. Someone is missing something on those tests.

Is there a head of the cardiology department at the hospital? Or someone that over sees what the doctors are doing? There has to be someone else that you can express your concerns to.

The tiredness and gray skin is something that hospital needs to start taking serious.

Your local doctor seems to be a better one to see than the darn hospital ones.

10. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:We saw the seniour consultant at the hospital and he is the one who was going to put DH off the post care list? Also the local Dr was a locum and has moved on. He had worked in the cardiac wards and that is why he knew it was heart. DH took a heart attack and then had the stent and angeo done but hasn;t really got much better. Like as we speek my daughter is here and our grandchild but DH has had to take himself off to bed. Why because he baked bread this morning and took an inch off the bottom of two doors - that took all of twenty mins. The baking was just throw stuff in a bowl mix with a machine and put in oven. Get a cuppa and wait for it to cook kind of thing so neather task was taxing. Even the doors are not heavey and I helped take them to the yard and they go back on with pins so not like the old days of fiddling with them. Of course he used the sander but that took only a short time and I wiped down the doors after so he didn't do that much and that is him for the day now. How can he work a full day???????????? They can;t say he is making it up or its in his head - why would he take himself to bed when our granddaughter is here??? Unless he is feeling really ill again. This happens nearly every single day. He can;t work and yet they wont give him disability either???? I am so frustrated and just want to see him well again.

Oesdog

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by